Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 26 years I finally pulled a moose tag. I have been looking through the posts related to others moose experiences and just fueling the fire. Spent last weekend covering new country that I wasn't familiar with. Would appreciate any tips on where to check out or if you run into any good bulls on the unit. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Good luck! I drew this tag as well... and its amazing how large the unit is. If nothing else, you are in for some beautiful areas to explore. Its too hot atm to scout much. I'll get more serious about scouting as we get closer to Sept. I saw several bulls over last years rifle deer hunt, I'll focus on those areas first.

-DallanC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congratulations on drawing the tags. I had this same tag in 2015 and it was the best fall I have had in a long time. The scouting was the best part of the entire experience. The new places and scenery that I was able to see made the entire effort worth it. The best part was I had my whole family at my side when we found the bull to harvest. I know it has been a while, but at that time, we found quite a few bulls on Tabby Mountain and in the Current Creek area. Enjoy the time in the mountains seeing new country and great sites, it will make the pack out worth every minute.

·
Registered
Fishing,hunting,shooting,mowing my yard
114 Posts
I went 2 years ago saw 1 tiny bull on tabby several on wildcat area, and over by the waters, most the bulls we went after were by park city

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats Trigger and Dallan on the tags. I hope you both find a dandy. I also drew this year with 25 points. I have been doing a lot of scouting and seeing a few but not much. Saw 3 bulls together last weekend they were not very big. Like Dallan said September should improve for spotting them. If I end out filling my tag before either of you I will definately share any knoweledge I have of moose sightings from my pre season scouting. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I helped a friend with his moose hunt last year. He saw a couple decent bulls up near the top of Millcreek Canyon. Ended up killing his in Big Cottonwood though. Don’t forget to look over the local SLC canyons as some of the better moose come out of there. You’ll have to deal with the granolas to do it though, and I get that some people just don’t have the patience for that.

Wasatch State Park can hold good bulls too. And I agree, scouting closer to Sept will produce better results.

Reactions: Trigger
1 - 13 of 13 Posts