Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had points to draw this tag this upcoming year, which unit would you hunt and why? Archery tackle.

I am very familiar with wasatch and would be willing to put in the leg work. Just wondering upon elk numbers and bull size and opportunity for tagging out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Love both these units!! I feel like pressure is worse on the Wasatch as far as competition with other hunters. But I think the caliber of bulls can be a little better on the Wasatch even with the pounding in recent years. Though there are great bulls on both units. I would probably say hunt whatever is closer to you that way you can scout as much as possible prior to the hunt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have not hunted the manti but I do have friends that drew that archery tag this fall. They had great success and saw tons of bulls. But like any unit they had to do a lot of scouting to get a bull worthy of a LE tag. In the end they said that they will be back as soon as they can. I'm sure both are great units.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think the Manti will become increasingly a little more difficult to draw and the Wasatch a little more easy as people jump ship from the Wasatch pool and start putting in for the Manti. I've always been a Manti guy, but I had a great experience on the Wasatch this year and was in bow range of good bulls almost every day. The biggest was around 360. I saw anywhere from 5 to 13 bulls most days. Pressure was non-existent where I was hunting. I never saw so much as a boot track. I still prefer the Manti, but getting a Wasatch expo tag wasn't a bad position to be in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning towards the Snatch as I am very familiar with the unit. The age class is still way high for the 3 year average I am hope there are still a few bulls up there that will be pushing a 320 mark or higher...

Manti I hear there are alot of elk behind every tree... thats why I was asking about which is a little better, but I guess it all comes down to personal preference!
Thanks for helping guys!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would hunt the unit you know best and could spend the most time on. I'd personally hint the Manti, because that's where I grew up hunting and I know the unit very well. I also spend time on the Wasatch but not as much.

I typically see more elk on the Manti, but there are still some great Bulls wandering around the Wasatch.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
For the amount of points your talking,

I'd take Dutton, Fishlake, Nebo , or La Sal all over the Wasatch or Manti.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
What's nice is that you have reasonable expectations. I think that a nice mature 6 point bull in the 300"-330" is very doable on the Wasatch or Manti with an outside chance at something bigger. I hunted the Wasatch this year for bulls and cows and I had no problem finding lower 300" bulls. Maybe I'm just easy to please but to me, a 300"+ 6 point bull is an awesome trophy.

The guys I worry about are the ones who come on with no knowledge and still have expectations to find a 370" bull. I'm not sure if that ever was reasonable.-----SS

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The guys I worry about are the ones who come on with no knowledge and still have expectations to find a 370" bull. I'm not sure if that ever was reasonable.-----SS
HA!
Thing is,
Those are the same guys that thing a 'true' 330 bull IS a 370.......;-)

Reactions: CPAjeff

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Both last night and this morning we saw some REALLY nice bullsl..:!:..

Headed back out in an hour to look til dark...:cool:...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Goofy-

You would take a Nebo tag over the Wasatch or Manti? You must know that unit well because my perception is that the Nebo is a step down from both of those units.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The Nebo tag was a step down from those two units for 5 or 6 years.

Not any more IMO. The nebo is rebounding nicely...

And yes , for 2016 I would take the nebo tag over those two for muzzy or rifle.
Archery though I would go Manti on top of the 3 mentioned units.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts