Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Well, here is the press release on what happened today.

One of the big ones is that the Sage Grouse hunt is shut down on the Parker for 2021 due to low populations due to the drought.

Guides and outfitters will now have to have now have to have a permit to guide on a WMA. Also you can now not construct a new blind on a WMA. It didn't say anything about existing blinds.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
I missed the meeting and just got that information off of the press release. It didn't have anything about the cost of the permit

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
They going to carbon date all blinds or is this just another unenforceable mandate?

Guess I'll read the press release....

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
The no permanent blinds or permanent structures comes from HB295 this year. That is in statute now and neither the wildlife board nor the DWR can’t change that.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
AFAIK, it's always been illegal to construct permanent blinds on our WMAs. From the 2020-2021 guidebook, which is the same as it's been for a long time. Naturally occurring non woody vegetative materials aren't permanent:

Waterfowl blinds on waterfowl management areas Utah Admin. Rule R657-9-34 You can construct and use waterfowl blinds on Division waterfowl management areas (WMAs) as long as you obey the following rules: •Waterfowl blinds may not be left unattended overnight unless they’re constructed entirely of non-woody, vegetative materials that naturally occur where the blind is located. •Live or dead-standing trees and shrubs on WMAs may not be cut or damaged unless the Division gives express, written permission to do so.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I saw a couple of the RAC meetings but passed on the Wildlife Board meeting. As for the waterfowl parts...they just did the very minimum that was necessary to comply with the House bill. Nothing will change. There will be a couple of guys that actually purchase the permit, and there will be no enforcement, and things will remain the same in the marsh. The RAC/Wildlife Board process is badly flawed and of no relevance to many of us waterfowlers out there. I'm a bit jaded on the whole thing I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts