Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Wow, this is a cluster right now! They are struggling to even know what they are doing on this LE/general elk deal.

I'd challenge any one of these board members to describe what the state of things is this very moment based upon present votes. I'm guessing none could.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
As to the proposals on general hunts, everyone has their pet area. "Not in my backyard" could be the title of this discussion.

·
Super Moderator
9,655 Posts
As to the proposals on general hunts, everyone has their pet area. "Not in my backyard" could be the title of this discussion.
In other words, everything is normal

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Ray,

The Wildlife Board basically just told the RACs that they don't care that all of them recommended basically the same thing, they weren't going to follow it. (Even when a RAC rep asked why the Board was going away from a unanimous RAC recommendation) They then tried to say they were following the general approach to give more opportunity, and Covey called BS (in a respectful way, of course).

A total cluster here man. This is worse off than it was before, IMO. If they didn't want more any bull units, they should have simply voted no.

·
Super Moderator
9,655 Posts
I was surprised where the one member wanted to cut 7 days off of the sheep hunts down in the south west part of the state. He claimed that a couple of outfitters wanted to do this to get the start of the sheep hunt out of the end of the deer hunts.

But then the board shut it down saying that it didn't go through the RAC's.

I think that if he would of proposed to move the hunt forward a week and keep the same amount of days in the hunt that it would of passed. His problem was that he wanted to cut 7 days off of the hunt.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Increase number of any bull permits to 17,500 and unlimited youth permits and not have them count against the cap.

Presented - Wade Heaton
Second - Donnie Hunter

Passed, 5-1.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Covey just apologized to the Board for being "sharp" with them. I disagree. Someone needs to tell these guys they are screwing things up.

Now they are going to make youth unlimited on any bull tags, increase any bull tags for adults only to 17,500, all with no more places to spread people out on the hunt.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Anyone who is a rifle hunter for elk, get ready to get completely railroaded by this specific Wildlife Board.

The writing on the wall, and they are not even trying to hide it, that they fully intend to move elk dates around not only on the any bull, but on the LE units as well. This is such a joke.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
They don't even care that an issue never went to the public for discussion and comment. This Wildlife Board is a complete and total disaster for anyone that is concerned about representing the Utah public. They represent someone, that's for sure. Just not the general public of Utah.

·
Super Moderator
9,655 Posts
These guys can't even do some quick simple math.

Now they are talking about removing non resident youth any bull tags and putting those tags into the resident youth any bull tags. Some simple math shows that it will only increase the resident opportunity by 0.01 of a percent.

You would think that they would be better off raising the number of permits issued instead of restricting things to just residents.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Man, I can't watch this anymore. Any public meeting has the chance to get bogged down, but they literally have no clue what they've done or not done and what is going on. This is so painful, I'm out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ray,

The Wildlife Board basically just told the RACs that they don't care that all of them recommended basically the same thing, they weren't going to follow it. (Even when a RAC rep asked why the Board was going away from a unanimous RAC recommendation) They then tried to say they were following the general approach to give more opportunity, and Covey called BS (in a respectful way, of course).

A total cluster here man. This is worse off than it was before, IMO. If they didn't want more any bull units, they should have simply voted no.
WHAT A JOKE! The board admitted they don't give a flip about the RAC's. They have their own agenda and move forward with that. I hope everyone watches this goat rodeo and I hope you do something about it. These cannot be the best folks to make decisions for the entire fate of Utah's wildlife.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts