Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
I listened in while working out and eating on my lunch break, I should have just listened to music instead 馃槀

Although, I do agree with the extra 5 days for archery

Registered
I listened until the break. Even if I had nothing else to do today what a wasted 4 hours.

I do find it a little fun to watch Covey try to round up the herd called the Wildlife board.

Registered
So to summarize general elk...

17,500 tags and unlimited youth tags
no additional any bull units
extend archery season by 5 days

Did they change anything with multi season tags?

Super Moderator
There were a number of items that were shot down because they hadn't gone through the RAC's first.

A couple right off the top of my head were the dates for the southwest area sheep hunts where one member wanted to cut 7 days off the front of it, this failed and most said that it needed to go before the RAC's, then the youth any bull hunts where they wanted to eliminate the 50 tags that go to the non resident youth and give them to the resident youth hunters, this one also failed because it hadn't gone to the RAC's.

I'm not saying that they did a great job, because they didn't. It seamed like some wanted to push their addenda through without going through the RAC system and the ones that I saw were shot down.

But it still looked like a circus with no one really knowing what was going on. Even when they went back to one member and asked him about his proposal and he couldn't even remember what he had proposed.

Registered
Thanks for the updates everyone. So I assume it's still an OTC--will be interesting to see how quick they sell out next summer. Maybe I should cash in my 15 elk points and hunt LE so I don't have to worry about any of it! Did the other elk recommendations pass like the unit adjustments on the boulder the the HAMS proposals?

Registered
I was also impressed with the comments by various board members of being inundated with feed back from individuals with the online process. No filter from the RAC's.

While I think I understand the process, I certainly don't think direct access to those who are making the decisions is a bad thing.

I didn't pick up anything on the Boulder HAMS hunt but the whole discussion was so much a ramble who knows? Maybe somebody was checking off boxes.

Registered
I've been trying to cache in my 15 LE elk points the last couple of years. They won't take them !!!
Too many point jumpers. Every year I'm right there......and guys with 19 or 20 points show up.
I'll probably never get to spend my points.

Registered
I've been trying to cache in my 15 LE elk points the last couple of years. They won't take them !!!
Too many point jumpers. Every year I'm right there......and guys with 19 or 20 points show up.
I'll probably never get to spend my points.
You can cash them in on the Oquirrh / Stansbury! lol

Registered
I think the best part of watching the meeting streamed online was seeing how badly the subtitles were misspelling about every other word. lol:)

Registered
I think the best part of watching the meeting streamed online was seeing how badly the subtitles were misspelling about every other word. lol:)
I kept on thinking it was Alexa screwing up. I don't think any self respecting closed caption typist could screw up that bad. :smile: It was distracting though.

Super Moderator
That's a problem with any voice activated typing program that is out there and I don't know about any of the rest of you but my eyes go automatically to the captions as it is typing. It is really hard when there are graphs or charts to look at while the person is speaking and you are trying to look at both of them.

Registered
You guys, they were not mistyping on the captions. That is exactly how it sounded audibly as well!

There was no rational explanation for what happened yesterday. It was a total cluster, and the Wildlife Board spit in the face of Utah hunters to drive their own personal agendas. There are a handful of board meetings over the years where it isn't just about disagreeing with what they did, but how they went about it was a complete joke to a system that is supposed to represent the public managing a public resource. Yesterday was a total affront to that process.

Registered
Covey Jones should be running this state. The rest of these guys are clowns for the most part
I'm sure they're very nice people. They just need to stop pushing personal agendas in the face of what the biologists and RACs are telling them. We have a process for a reason, this board completely crapped on that process yesterday. I really hope someone has a behind the scenes talk with them and sets them straight. It was beyond ridiculous what I witnessed.

Registered
I really hope someone has a behind the scenes talk with them and sets them straight. It was beyond ridiculous what I witnessed.
Who would that be? Sad to say, but those "clowns" are the last and ultimate word on wildlife regulations in this state.

Even sadder to say, the only entity that could "set them straight" is $FW, since they likely installed them in their positions but I doubt $FW was displeased with yesterdays proceedings.

Registered
Who would that be? Sad to say, but those "clowns" are the last and ultimate word on wildlife regulations in this state.
Not entirely true. The Wildlife Board only has the power it has been given. There is a legislative session coming up. Just sayin...

They can be put in check pretty quickly if they step too far out of line. They flirted with that very closely yesterday. I'm planning to talk to my reps.

Registered
Not entirely true. The Wildlife Board only has the power it has been given. There is a legislative session coming up. Just sayin...

They can be put in check pretty quickly if they step too far out of line. They flirted with that very closely yesterday. I'm planning to talk to my reps.
Good point. In the past though, Wildlife Board issues haven't seemed to move the needle much with the legislature, but maybe things have changed.

Whereas, WB members are picked by the Governor, perhaps some well placed voices of dissatisfaction to Cox may tell us how his administration will react to wildlife issues. -Ov-

21 - 40 of 65 Posts