Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Senior Goof
3,597 Posts
"We need to make sure we do someting about that, as it's 1 of only 2 units" - referring to the Henry Mountain's.

1. It's mismanaged as it is. It has been declining for years though so it's weird the sudden concern. Weird may not be the right word, but most people saw this happening years ago so that would have seemed like the time to start making changes.
2. After talking to Packout one day about why more people didn't take a strong stance against certain changes to the Henry's and it's management(raising age objective, etc), he pointed out that it's like 1600 deer and ~75 tags. Him and others were far more concerned with the greater ~300k deer in the state. That makes you think. One "money" unit that majority of people will never step foot on, let alone hunt, has so much energy too it. As a hunter/applier, if you just pretend it doesn't exist life is much better lol.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So far this request by Clint Heber IS BS!!!! If they approve this, it will open a can of worms! He was here during the hunt. HE had the opportunity to hunt. Who is to say he didnt hunt. Maybe he stayed off the mountain until buck was found. Which was stated that it was clearly out of sight for 6 weeks. He traveled. He was fine. He went to Mexico. Came to Utah. This is a complete JOKE!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The dude had paid guides hunting for him, on the mountain pursuing a specific animal.

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
So far this request by Clint Heber IS BS!!!! If they approve this, it will open a can of worms! He was here during the hunt. HE had the opportunity to hunt. Who is to say he didnt hunt. Maybe he stayed off the mountain until buck was found. Which was stated that it was clearly out of sight for 6 weeks. He traveled. He was fine. He went to Mexico. Came to Utah. This is a complete JOKE!!!
Enlighten us on who what and where.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thought byron might cry after the variance was denied. Guy had his guides out, came to Utah when the deer was seen unbroken, and then left when it was found with broken tines.

Wade Lemon always some where behind the ****aree

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I would be shocked (in a good way) if the Board denied the variance... they all sound like they're too afraid to say no.

... and... I'm SHOCKED.
The man hired a guide and his employees to scout for a specific deer in his behalf while he was "having dinner" (for three days) at the guide's home nearby and when they couldn't find the specific deer, he decided it was too risky to go on the mountain because 30 other people who might have Covid were there looking for the same deer. It took him 3 days to make such an important decision? I think his decision would have been different had they found the deer with antlers intact in those 3 days.. Even the 3 or 4 SFW board members saw through that "gamemanship" ploy. Good for them!

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Really no different than a few years ago when the bison hunters threw a fit and were allowed to go hunting the next year on the same tag.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
We are all average joe hunters in the boards eyes.
For sure. I cringe every time they say “the average joe hunter” in these meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The man hired a guide and his employees to scout for a specific deer in his behalf while he was "having dinner" (for three days) at the guide's home nearby and when they couldn't find the specific deer, he decided it was too risky to go on the mountain because 30 other people who might have Covid were there looking for the same deer. It took him 3 days to make such an important decision? I think his decision would have been different had they found the deer with antlers intact in those 3 days.. Even the 3 or 4 SFW board members saw through that "gamemanship" ploy. Good for them!
Really no different than a few years ago when the bison hunters threw a fit and were allowed to go hunting the next year on the same tag.

I heard the both sides of the discussion EFA. From my perspective the Board made the correct decision to deny the variance, but based on the trajectory of the discussion I had my doubts. On top of that considering the precedent that was set by the bison decision a couple years back, I wonder how much the fall out from that decision was on their minds and ultimately influenced the outcome. I would not have been a bit surprised had the Board approved the variance to protect a high paying trophy hunter. But in this case as an "Average Joe Hunter" I guess I finally get to hold my head high!

On a side note... could you imagine how awful it would be to be Lindy and have to field all the calls and requests for variances and have to tell people "No, you wasted your points" (her words from the discussion)! I can only image the things that get said to her in response!

And how long is it until the State cleans up the variance request language to more clearly define what a "hunting day" is?

·
Senior Goof
3,597 Posts
Imagine being able to hunt THE ENTIRE STATE OF UTAH for OVER FIVE MONTHS and wanting a variance.

Private jets.. guides... and that's likely why the board considered it. Because he is rich. This is what hunting has become. He wanted to fly in and shoot the biggest deer in the state.

Reality is you could come in and shoot a 220" deer on the Pauns (with a hired guide of course, but he is rich) and likely do it in a day given the fact he could have a rifle Sept 1. "Vulnurability to contact C19" - while he flew around, met strangers, went out of the country. BUT THE MOUNTAINS IS WHERE HE WAS GOING TO CONTRACT IT?? Gimme a break. Not to mention, it was here before August. Request your variance then.

Aside from many of us going to STORES, if I was going to risk getting covid a statewide any weapon deer tag would have met the criteria.

This is what hunting has become though. I don't want a trophy, no sir. I want THE trophy. The biggest deer or bust. What an insane state of affairs.

Also, "Average Joe Hunters" are 99% of the tags. Just call us hunters, and call the other "elitist rich entitled hunters".

I'm not average Joe. I'm just not a wealthy jack***.

Edit: I think them finally finding the deer (so amazing how elusive an animal hunted that hard can be), but finding him on trail cam, then broken on trail cam, is interesting when you consider the new trail cam laws. This makes a case for why they are bad, imo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts