Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year at this time all the new waterfowl catalogs start showing up in the mail. All I can say is I feel sorry for anyone just getting started in this sport. I cannot believe the prices for most of the stuff, like decoys, waders, clothing, etc. It used to be kind of fun picking up a few things before the season and donating some of the used gear, but WOW! how things have really changed over the past few years. I am sorry but $70+ for 1/2 dozen duck decoys that are made in China is ridiculous.

I have a few websites where I still find good deals, and I would like to help others out, but I won't post the links here. You can PM me if you would like.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Got back into waterfowl last year.Had to buy waders and a coat,hat,gloves got all that for around 250.00 and they should last until Im done.Didnt think that was to bad.Went out most of the time with folks that had the dekes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After I looked through the latest catalog, I was going to start this thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks decoy prices are absurd. The hyper-realism is pointless. The ducks don't care how much you paid. This isn't handcarved cork; it's injection molded plastic. Also ridiculous: $150 for a pair (top/bottom) of long johns. Sorry guys, the extortionate price isn't justified by calling them "base layers". They're just overpriced long johns, maybe "thermals". $300+ for an insulated Yeti handbag. If you buy this, you'll wind up on the "sucker sheet" of every gear purveyor on the planet. $500 for a duck hunting jacket. Are you kidding? You're hunting the Turpin Unit not doing six months in the Antarctic. The list could go on. By the way, why doesn't anyone make a camo chamois duck hunting shirt anymore?

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Last year I picked up my coat at wally world for 40 bucks and its as warm and water proof as the 150.00 dollar name brands.Did but a pair of Cabellas waders,but got them on sale.Ill buy some used dekes if I need to this year.
What got me was 25.00 for a 5.00 dollar hat.-O,-

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
leaky waders, layers of non waterproof clothes, cheap dekes, old cracked 5 gallon bucket, frozen hands and a canvas army backpack for my decoys that got soaked each time and weighed twice as much coming back in on the long death marches... That's how I did it for a long long long time...... I've bought a few better things but I will never buy those overpriced dekes, calls, expensive layering clothing systems, or expensive shotgun shells.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
leaky waders, layers of non waterproof clothes, cheap dekes, old cracked 5 gallon bucket, frozen hands and a canvas army backpack for my decoys that got soaked each time and weighed twice as much coming back in on the long death marches... That's how I did it for a long long long time...... I've bought a few better things but I will never buy those overpriced dekes, calls, expensive layering clothing systems, or expensive shotgun shells.
All of my waders have patches on the boots, neoprene and/or breathable fabric. I still wear the old thermal underwear, decoy bags all get holes after the first trip, I shoot federal or estate shells, and I have yet to find gloves that are truly waterproof.
A few years ago I picked up some goose floaters for $75 a six pack, now those exact same decoys are $189. I don't get it! Decoys used to be sold in 12 packs for less than what a 6 pack is now.
Calls are overrated, over used and definitely over priced, but man they look good hanging around our necks with all those bands.:mrgreen:

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I've never paid more than 15$ for a duck call and my go to call is still my 48 year old faulks that I paid $2.50 for

Reactions: Fowlmouth

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far I have received catalogs and flyers from Cabelas, Mack Prairie Wings and Rogers Sporting Goods. I swear every year a new company comes on the market and they immediately have the highest prices,(Drake, Banded and Avian X to name a few) then every other company follows suit to keep up. I guess they think nobody will buy there product if their prices are not up there with all the players.:cry:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
So far I have received catalogs and flyers from Cabelas, Mack Prairie Wings and Rogers Sporting Goods. I swear every year a new company comes on the market and they immediately have the highest prices,(Drake, Banded and Avian X to name a few) then every other company follows suit to keep up. I guess they think nobody will buy there product if their prices are not up there with all the players.:cry:
Somebody somewhere is getting filthy rich off all that gear, it's not just waterfowl gear either, all hunting gear is going that way.

But it sure looks like those company's are getting their money's worth on what they pay for marketing.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I rarely buy new and when I do it's on sale or clearance. I hit up wally world in the spring when they put their hunting gear on sale. Last year bought 5 camo flannel shirts for $3-$5 each and they were regular $16. Also bought several fleece camo pull overs for $3.50 each and they were regular $20+.

Some of my clothing that my grandson is now using I wore as a teen duck hunting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts