Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, how many pounds of meat do you typically yield from a Canadian goose?
Is there a rough conversion for waterfowl like there is for ungulates?

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Out of curiosity, how many pounds of meat do you typically yield from a Canadian goose?
Is there a rough conversion for waterfowl like there is for ungulates?
Depends, there are a lot of different types of Canadian Geese.....Giant Canadians where I come from in Illinois may weigh 15 pounds; Moffit (Greater, our goose), a little less, Richardson's more less, blah, blah, blah down to Cacklings that are only 5 pounds.

The conversion meat/live weight for ducks n geese, any fowl actually, is about the same, maybe a little better, as ungulates....60% of live weight. This is all of the edible meat; legs, thighs, wings and breast....not the neck. In addition to this giblets (heart, gizzard and liver) are around 7% of live weight on most waterfowl.

A good mature goose in Evanston WY will run about 8 pounds live weight. If I pluck it It'll be 5 pounds. If I skin it 4.5 pounds. The de-boned breasts will weigh about 2.5 pounds if yer good with a knife. That will leave 2 pounds of goose meat in legs, thighs, and wings....maybe more if you want to use the torso after the breast meat has been jerked out in wreckless abandon.....ha

For a goose I save the neck and giblets....So for me my goose neck, legs, thighs, wings and giblets will weigh more than the breast.

I have a number of threads on waterfowl and upland game weights, whole vs breasted-out....other weight combination comparisons. Some are in Recipes, some in Waterfowl...I think.

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Found the one on duck. Geeze, the search engine is not working so hot.

Reactions: Ray

·
Administrator
21,619 Posts
Thanks goob!! That’s exactly what I was looking for!
You're welcome.

I've done the same kinda comparisons on goose, crane and swan. Can't remember how many of them I've put on here.

I know crane, a migratory bird not waterfowl, has a lower meat/live weight percentage; like 50%.

Diving ducks have bigger breasts than puddle ducks but their legs and thighs are smaller. So, if you just save the breasts you will have more meat out of a diving duck versus a same size puddle duck.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Depends, there are a lot of different types of Canadian Geese.....Giant Canadians where I come from in Illinois may weigh 15 pounds; Moffit (Greater, our goose), a little less, Richardson's more less, blah, blah, blah down to Cacklings that are only 5 pounds.
You ain't kidding. My buddy's drake mallard was easily bigger than the two Cacklings B.h. minima geese we shot that day, and nearly the size of the Taverners. It was also a real brute of a mallard. Didn't get weights though.
Plant Sky Sheep Cloud Grass

·
Registered
23 Posts

The conversion meat/live weight for ducks n geese, any fowl actually, is about the same, maybe a little better, as ungulates....60% of live weight. This is all of the edible meat; legs, thighs, wings and breast....not the neck. In addition to this giblets (heart, gizzard and liver) are around 7% of live weight on most waterfowl.

A good mature goose in Evanston WY will run about 8 pounds live weight. If I pluck it It'll be 5 pounds. If I skin it 4.5 pounds. The de-boned breasts will weigh about 2.5 pounds if yer good with a knife. That will leave 2 pounds of goose meat in legs, thighs, and wings....maybe more if you want to use the torso after the breast meat has been jerked out in wreckless abandon.....ha

For a goose I save the neck and giblets....So for me my goose neck, legs, thighs, wings and giblets will weigh more than the breast.

I have a number of threads on waterfowl and upland game weights, whole vs breasted-out....other weight combination comparisons. Some are in Recipes, some in Waterfowl...I think.
Thanks for the info, this is one of the most helpful break downs I've seen on the matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts