Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning on heading into the uintas this weekend?

The weather's got me excited. If it's as bad as the forecast says, I doubt I'll be making it to where I'd planned to go and I don't have a plan B yet!

Here's to winging it!

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
All animals I found on the opener, were at a much lower elevation already than years past. There was virtually nothing at the high tree line and above like years past. Everything was lower in the thicker terrain.

-DallanC

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All animals I found on the opener, were at a much lower elevation already than years past. There was virtually nothing at the high tree line and above like years past. Everything was lower in the thicker terrain.

-DallanC
Are you referring to the muzzy opener?

Yes I figured I might be stuck at lower elevations I haven't hunted or scouted. Getting to test myself is exciting. Having an empty freezer isn't 😬

·
Registered
37 Posts

-DallanC
Same. I got my buck last year at the top of the mountain. This year they were all much lower.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I've never understood the fascination with hunting in crappy weather. Sure there are a few pluses but as far as I'm concerned more minuses.

Sure weather hastens the fall of foliage and make it easier to see but you really need snow to take advantage. At most elevations the precipitation this time of year is primarily rain, with snow above maybe 9000 or 10000 feet. Which lasts most the time a few days. Meanwhile the dirt roads are a mess. Limiting access to those who enjoy tearing the crap out of them to either get to their jump off point or simply drive around road hunting.

Meanwhile hiking up the trails trying to shuck mud off the soles of your boots to get to the snow line or simply wading through knee deep snow for the required miles to get away from others while in fog or storm is nothing but frustrating.

But I may see a few of you out there. (y)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've never understood the fascination with hunting in crappy weather. Sure there are a few pluses but as far as I'm concerned more minuses.

Sure weather hastens the fall of foliage and make it easier to see but you really need snow to take advantage. At most elevations the precipitation this time of year is primarily rain, with snow above maybe 9000 or 10000 feet. Which lasts most the time a few days. Meanwhile the dirt roads are a mess. Limiting access to those who enjoy tearing the crap out of them to either get to their jump off point or simply drive around road hunting.

Meanwhile hiking up the trails trying to shuck mud off the soles of your boots to get to the snow line or simply wading through knee deep snow for the required miles to get away from others while in fog or storm is nothing but frustrating.

But I may see a few of you out there. (y)
I’m betting you’ll see snow closer to the 7000’ mark than you do the 9000’ mark.

that’s fine, stay home. Im sure many have this mentality and will stay home or in camp because of it. Better for the non puzzys

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I love hunting in bad weather, aside from the pluses that come with it, it’s just a cool experience.

Also, I’m only able to kill ducks on bad weather days 😂

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll be up in the Unitahs, looking forward to some weather. Be safe everyone. It can get hairy real quick in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here's what my long range forecaster has to say:

Have not done winter forecast yet
Just to let you know, very unsual mid October system with lots of rain, then possibly snows, especially higher elevations around October 12th
could be a big storm

All the best,
Jim

% of normal moisture 300-500% of normal for mid October

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm not sure if this weather in out of the norm. Always seems like there is an early snowstorm at least one of the weekends of the general elk hunt...then it dries out until Dec. Here's to hoping that we get consistent moisture throughout the fall and winter. Everything needs it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes this kind of weather makes for some tough hunting but I've always enjoyed the he woods while the weather is bad. I love running in a storm. It's just kind of different seeing the animals you're chasing in a different environment. Kind of like walking through neighborhoods at night... You always notice and see things that you wouldn't when it's light out.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Where I'm heading, the weekend forecast is calling for rain Saturday, Sunday a chance of showers. But come Monday calling for rain and Tuesday snow. Then the storms are suppose to move out with clouds and a chance of showers. Going to be interesting to see how many camps will be set up and who packs it up and heads for home.

The low will be dipping into single digits with daytime highs in the 30's-40's. Oh ya, one person has bailed on us and it will be my Son and I for the weekend. Then I'll be on my own the rest of the week. Going to be taking the Kodiak Tent because my Son sold his truck and damper. He does this crap every year it seems like. :rolleyes::mad: AND....He has to borrow one of Dads rifles and ammunition. I'll have the .338 WM with the 300 WSM for back up. I gave him the choice of a .300 WM and .308. He chose the .308. He doesn't like heavy recoil. He should be good with within the 250 yard range with the reloads I did. loaded the 168gr Berger bullets for it. They flat put game on the ground and destroy the vitals. They can also make a mess of a shoulder if the shot isn't in front or just behind the shoulder.

Good luck to all heading out!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The forecasts I'm seeing call for up to 12" of snow between Friday and Saturday. Anyone seeing anything different?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
My forecast is showing 4" of snow between Monday and Tuesday in Cedar City. (5000ft)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The one I'm looking at is showing a total of about 10-12" accumulation between tonight and Sunday.

I am mostly worried about the long drive on FS roads to get out in the event it snows more than forecasted!

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
4x4 and a set of chains and I wouldn't be too worried.

But then there are those who won't have either that you would have to watch out for.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts