Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
The one I'm looking at is showing a total of about 10-12" accumulation between tonight and Sunday.

I am mostly worried about the long drive on FS roads to get out in the event it snows more than forecasted!
Yeah I think we're looking at the same one. Agreed with the chain suggestion, though now I have one more thing to pick up before Friday.

That forecast also called for snow level to fall to 8800'. Hopefully that means the FS roads will stay relatively clear with most of the accumulation up higher.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Some of my fondest memories are from watching people pulling trailers off the Manti down to Potters Ponds trying to beat the weather coming in. I seem to remember a time when a bunch got stranded around there in an early storm during the elk hunt.

·
Super Moderator
10,109 Posts
One thing that people just need to remember is that if there is a dump of snow for the elk opener and it doesn't look good to get your camper trailer out of the hills to just drain the water out of it and leave it for a while. Odds are that the next week or so the roads will turn to dust and you will be just fine dragging it out.

Now if you are up in the hills during the deer hunt and it happens then you better have a way to get it out of the hills.

Years ago on the opener of the deer hunt everything was just fine in the morning. But come Saturday afternoon the storm had come in and was hitting the Manti hard. Come Sunday morning I was driving through 3' of snow with my truck chained up. A few days later there were muddy places but most of the roads had a layer of dust on them.

·
Registered
Big game, upland game, fishing, and mountains.
23 Posts
In all of your experiences, how much snow does it take to start pushing elk down to lower elevations? I'd been planning on hitting a spot at around 10,000 feet, and I saw the earlier posts about them already being lower that people were expecting. I'd prefer that my first attempt on elk not involve freezing my toukas off 2,000 feet above where any elk are.

·
Super Moderator
10,109 Posts
It isn't really the amount of snow, but if the elk can still get to their food they will stay high. The first snow storms usually don't start to push them much. They can still move around and get to their food source, but once that snow has a heavy crust on it and they can't get to that food then they will move.

The best way to hunt for elk on your first hunt is to start high where you have been seeing them during your scouting trips. Then if you see that they have been moving down, move down with them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Agreed with above. And the new ce thing about this weekend is the snow. You can just look for fresh tracks to see what elevation they might be at

·
Registered
125 Posts
Has anyone been hearing them bugle? The last two years have had early opening days which have been excellent for bugling, at least for me. I am wondering if the combo of a later start and the bad weather will keep them from talking.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
64 Posts
Foot of snow and the Animals were at lower elevation a few weeks ago. Get your -20degree bag out and your snow gear if you’re hunting up high. Get your thick rain gear and waterproofer out if you’re hunting lower. Have on AllTerrian tires at least and maybe put on a set of snow tires with a shovel in case it gets muddy/frozen. Good Luck and Stay Safe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, which is about the opening day for the last two years. Hopefully they are still going nuts a week later. Good luck everyone and be safe!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Has anyone been hearing them bugle?
I took my daughter out deer hunting last week on Friday (10/1). We got into an area thick with elk sign. I kept expecting to hear some bugles, but it was dead silent. Walking up a trail in steep canyon, with a stream to our side, we entered some thick spruce. We had a bull jump out of it's bed, crashing in the timber, and start to run. It scared the crap out of both of us! We then noticed two additional bulls on the opposite side of the trail. One was a monster! (330+ Zion unit). I blew my cow call, hoping to get them to stop. Nada.

Those bulls never made a peep.
We never heard a bugle all weekend long, and we were in some pretty good elk areas.
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When I shot my buck on Oct 2nd, the elk were going nuts! All day Friday and all morning of the 2nd. Now, they were probably screaming all day Saturday too but I got my buck and was out there very early.

keep in mind though, this was on a spike only unit.

they were also up really high, towards the summit

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
All my stuff is already up to the cabin.
Gun, ammo, food, clothes, refreshments, etc
I have the wood box filled, and plenty of split wood in the wood pile so I can stay warm.
I brought my best mudder 4 wheeler home, so I can unload at the Y and just take the bike in.
Should be interesting.....

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Forecast is look gnarly up high. Be safe out there.
Forecast?

It IS gnarly outside!

2Full -- good luck getting up there. I hope you make it!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'll get in for sure on the bike, just will get pretty wet. Going to wear my snowmobile stuff, that will help.
Will just hang out around the cabin. Have taken 2 bulls within a couple big hundred yards of the cabin in the last 4 years. Hoping lightening strikes one more time. 😎

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hmm. This weather reports have me wondering if I'd better stay local, or head back to panguitch for elk rifle. I just drove 4 hours to get home yesterday, the weather has me wondering if its worth it to go back. HIghway travel and all that. Then there's the 10,000 ft elevation thing. I have mud and snow KO2's, but no chains. Some sweet elk up there though. Got within 40 yards of a spike last weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Forecast?

It IS gnarly outside!

2Full -- good luck getting up there. I hope you make it!
Lol, I'm counting down the minutes till I'm out of work so that I can turn that "forecast" into "current weather." 45 mins to go.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts