Utah Wildlife Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What do site/app do you use to get the forecast for remote areas? Just wondering. I've just been looking at weather for the nearest city, but that can vary a lot when dealing with higher elevation and nearest city being many miles away.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What do site/app do you use to get the forecast for remote areas? Just wondering. I've just been looking at weather for the nearest city, but that can vary a lot when dealing with higher elevation and nearest city being many miles away.
I personally like to go the the NWS salt lake website. Than you can click any area on a map and get a forecast.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
You can also learn and watch the weather patterns to see what is going to happen where you are planning on hunting.

Some storms come in from the south and pound east facing slopes, some storms come in from the north and pound the west facing slopes

I was sitting up on Mt Ellen down in the Henry Mountains one deer hunt and watched the storms coming in from the west. It was quite interesting watching them form and then hit the mountain where I was sitting. A friend who was on the other side of the mountain only saw high clouds.

But in the end the best advice that anyone can give if you plan on going hunting is to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Whenever my truck leaves my driveway for a hunting trip it has a full set of chains for all 4 tires plus a couple extra, a couple of tow chains and a 40' tow strap, a shovel, and a high-lift jack. In my chain box I carry extra oil and transmission fluid. I also make sure that everything is checked out before the trip and all fluids are topped off if needed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

Search for closest city, sometimes WMA's, and click on the topographical map for your specfific area. Doesn't always make a huge difference to nearest city, but sometimes it does. Espeically when elevation is way different.

Reactions: cedar

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have two buddies that were hiking into the wilderness area on Wednesday/Thursday to be in there on opening day. I couldn’t make the trip this year. Best of luck to em.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Rained crazy hard down here in the SW corner of the state.
Cloud Mirror Sky Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror
Sky Atmosphere Afterglow Plant Natural landscape
Atmosphere Cloud Water resources Plant Natural landscape

No elk this opener on the pine valley unit. But the camping, hiking, and views were great.

I did glass up this monster....

Branch Twig Wood Grass Woody plant

Spider Terrestrial plant Arthropod Insect Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I want to see pics of pine valley today!!

Here is a picture I tool on my drive to work this morning (Cedar City). This picture is of the snow plow heading down a road that is currently closed (see snow covered sign on the left). I'm not sure why they were focusing on the closed roads before the main artery roads this morning. Things that make you go "hmmmm.....". 🤷‍♂️

Water Sky Snow Street light Mode of transport

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Had 10" at my house in town.
Heavy wet stuff.
My deer hunt starts tomorrow........
I guess I won't be going to the cabin to hunt.
Wasn't expecting this much !!!
Don't really have a plan B 😜

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'd still call this and unusual pattern.

In the cottonwood canyons, 3" snow water equivalent is nothing to scoff at. The last time we had this type of early snow was October 04. We'll see if it keeps up. Back then we got mid October snow through early November when it it shut down until around the end of the first week of December. Then we got 7" of water on top of a rotten snowpack that created some bad avy issues. Hopefully it just keeps snowing at this point.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'd still call this and unusual pattern.

In the cottonwood canyons, 3" snow water equivalent is nothing to scoff at. The last time we had this type of early snow was October 04. We'll see if it keeps up. Back then we got mid October snow through early November when it it shut down until around the end of the first week of December. Then we got 7" of water on top of a rotten snowpack that created some bad avy issues. Hopefully it just keeps snowing at this point.

Oh I agree. Not scoffing at the weather. I've heard how bad it got around the Wasatch over the weekend! I was just surprised the weather in the uintas ended up being better than I thought.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wasn't referring specifically to your comment but rather a general comment on the October weather. I was also in the uintas for the weekend but back at work on Monday. Looks like those guys in the south got a pretty good shot of snow too.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts