Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fly fished the Weber between Rock and Echo on Sat and did pretty good. I'm not one for fishing in the winter but I couldn't fight the bug. We only fished for about an hour and a half, but pulled up around 8 white fish, I had one pretty rainbow jumping out of the water but it got off. I didn't get the camera out to take a picture of the white fish, had the rainbow landed I would have shot it. Any others out on the Weber or the Ogden lately?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Well now that our team got booted, guess we'll have more time for that sort of stuff huh?? Wasn't that a disgrace?? :? The Weber is great fun in the winter.... I need to get back up for some whitefishing... thats the only time I've flyfished but I didn't turn into a pillar of salt or burst into flames or anything so I might try it again. :lol:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thanks for the report. How was the ice?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ice was not too bad surprisingly. They hit a grey sow bug pretty consistently. It was cold, but it was FISHING! I would have loved to try something on top but did not have any clue as to what to try. I need to improve my fly tying skills.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Were there fish rising? Unlike the Provo, surface acivity is rather rare on the Weber in winter. I have seen midge hatches to allmost "blizzard" proportions with NO fish rising to them. Typically, you have to wait for BWO or better still, the "Mother's Day" caddis to get much surface activity. Dang! Weather and work have put a serious dent in my outdoor activities. I really need to get up there.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fish were not rising. I have only been fly fishing for a short time, but on the Weber it seems that they are rarley rising (although I have seen others dry fly fishing even when they were not rising). I have usually only had success with nymphs, despite my LOVE for dry fly fishing. I have caught some fish on the Weber with dries, and as I am learning more and more about fly fishing in general, would love to learn more about how to catch fish with dries on the Weber.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How is the Ogdenfishing? Sounds like you had a great day yesterday, 30 whiteys each, that is excellent. Looks like you are new to the forum, welcome.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Guns and Flies said:
The fish were not rising. I have only been fly fishing for a short time, but on the Weber it seems that they are rarley rising (although I have seen others dry fly fishing even when they were not rising). I have usually only had success with nymphs, despite my LOVE for dry fly fishing. I have caught some fish on the Weber with dries, and as I am learning more and more about fly fishing in general, would love to learn more about how to catch fish with dries on the Weber.
Your observations are SPOT ON. Surface activity is spotty on the Web and allmost nonexestant in winter. However there is occassionally some good surface activity for BWO in late winter/early spring and some very remarkable "Mother's Day" caddis hatches (usually around the first part of May). The weather and snow pack will make a big difference. If Rockport and Echo fill and spill before the first of May and their tail waters "blow out" as they do some years, that hatch will be very difficult to fish. But if you hit it right, dry fly fishing can, on some occassions, be phenominal on the Weber. It is all about timing. I don't know what to hope for, a good Mother's Day hatch or a good water year. But my observations are that both Echo and Rockport are so low this year that it will take a lot to fill them. Maybe we can have both. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a good day...I haven't pulled out the fly rod since getting outfished by Puddles near the Pinnacles. About three years ago, I saw the most amazing caddis fly hatch on the Weber. The water was completely covered. I have never seen anything like it. However, I wasn't able to really catch a lot of fish. I'm with ya... there are not many things prettier than watching a fish take a dry fly!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Have been having computer problems so I'm on and off, mostly off. Next week hope will be better. Anyways, the Web. is my winter fun and up till the cold spell I was haveing a ball with my combo fish and duckies. Of late I've only been successful with only the duckies since my holes are all froze up. Had a great day last time with duckies (see Waterfowl) especially with seeing all the various types of game and Sparky doing some majic. Tried above Echo and was face with floating ice, cold temps. and froze over holes. Guess I need to try again. :D :D Hope to see ya there. :wink:
Leaky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts