Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, figure I'll get this on here now, since I finished most of my busy work at the state job. I went out this weekend with Tumblingwings to a spot he knows about for geese and ducks. We got there a tad late on Saturday morning and set up in the morning on a sandy spit of land he has shot geese on before. He's hunted the area for about fifteen years so I totally trusted his judgement on where to go and what to do.... since I'd only been there once before. We set out fullbodies, floaters and shells and constructed a blind from phrag in the area. It actually came out looking pretty **** good, if I do say so myself. We sat back and waited, watched a few flocks of ducks buzzing around and then Scott spotted about ten geese headed our direction. He got on his call and I kinda backed him up with some clucks, murmurs and an occasional honk. I've never REALLY called geese before in my life so I was just helping out on my new call. Whatever we were doing worked though.... they locked up and circled the blind twice but never got into that "close enough" range for us to pop off at them, although they probably would have been hosed down by skybusters. Incidentally, there really weren't a lot of them where we wound up. Anyway, that was all the action we had in the morning so we kinda drove around scouting for the afternoon. We wound up talking to one of the folks running the area and he suggested a spot that we quickly decided would be our hideout for the afternoon shoot. I had been fortunate enough to leave my duck dekes in the truck during the morning but in the afternoon, I once again shouldered the fifty or so dekes and TW packed his goose floaters and some other duck dekes out to this spot. We got into some thigh deep mud and turned around, deciding we'd probably gone far enough. Well, its a good thing we turned around because we were on the X for both geese and teal.... OMG the teal. There were times all we'd hear is wings cutting the air, look up and see 50, 60, sometimes 100 teal bombing right in on us.... truly an amazing sight. For some reason, whatever shooting success I'd been having on the opener and out jumpshooting entirely left me and I couldn't hit a teal to save my life. :lol: I did drill a drake pinner to go with the Pintail that TW shot. We also heard some honks, turned around and saw a flock of 20 or so geese working in the air behind us.... Well, TW is a fan of the "less is more" philosophy with geese but I got on my goose call, honked, clucked and murmured until the geese came right for us..... they were wiffling down a little then got spread out, locked, cupped and they were coming. It was the first flock of geese I've ever called at and had them come right down like that.... FREAKIN AWESOME!!! It was also nice to know that what I was doing on my call was working on wild geese, not just the tame bread eaters at the park. TW also reassured me that my duck calling was up to par, despite what he'd been told about my feed chatter.... That was nice to hear, so thanks for that man... glad we were able to laugh off and overcome some of the BS that was being slung about my calling. :lol: Calling in those geese was a good feeling... but it got even better as I cut it short (thanks for the warning TW) and they dropped right in. I shot just normal steel and turned one bird but TW shooting Tungsten Matrix rocked the first bird and dropped his second goose STONE dead!! His dog made the retrieves because Buddy got to the first goose, it lifted its head and he bailed. Must have scared him to try and retrieve something as big as him. Syder though got right on it, grabbed the bird and retrieved it to hand. That was our total for the night... two Pinners and two geese. We should have had teal too but just couldn't buy a bird for some reason. We got set up for camp and hit the sack after TW cooked us a great dinner on a portable little stove of chicken breast filled with stuffing. MMMMM good!! Washed it down with an ice cold Corona and sacked out. Morning came too quickly but it was a no brainer to go back to the spot we'd been in the day before. We set up a little to the west though and still, right on the X for teal. The geese moved early but then set down and wanted nothing to do with the pond that day except for one loner I called at and had circling for about ten minutes while he tried to decide between our four floaters and about 30 wild geese on another pond. He finally decided to leave and we set in for more teal shooting. TW actually connected on the very first 2 for 1 shot I'd ever seen. Two teal lined up out of a big flock and he smoked em. One of them got into the bushes though and we couldn't find it. We kept on shooting and TW wound up with four teal by the time we headed for the barn that afternoon. I tried and tried to shoot a teal but couldn't connect... it was pretty frustrating actually.... I even tried shooting TW's auto but nothing was working for me. Oh well.... it was still fun. When we left, we took some pictures (I'll post tonight or tomorrow), enjoyed another nice cold Corona and then got on the highway out back to civilization. It was a great weekend with a great guy, good dogs and lots of birds.... and that was all I could ask for. TW, we'll have to do it again for sure... maybe in a few weeks. And when I get that decoy, we'll take him back out to see if we can't convince those Wigeon to come a little closer... :twisted:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice.... make sure thats un-iodized salt you're pouring in that huge gash on my ego.... :lol: It was a great time man and I totally appreciate you taking me with you. I'd love to go do it again in a month or so. I owe you a trip too. We may have to go sooner than that somewhere because I'll have that decoy we'll need to hunt over. We could just go local with it too if you wanted. Anyway... thanks again.

Oh, and I have to get a new power cable for my camera... I can't find the one from the old place anywhere so I can't download those pics yet. I may go write a check for one tonight.... check your email.... I sent one saying the judge signed my papers yesterday so I'm a single guy... at least on paper.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well, the Sparkinator and I are jealous, jealous, jealous. :) But, it couldn't have happened to a better combo. 8) If you have a mind, maybe you could e-mail or pm me as to where it was and if an old vart could do it? :D By the way, great report as usual. :!:
Leaky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts