Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uncle that wasn't a hunter just loved to hike somewhere in Arizona came across a hound and lion nose to nose dead. Both wouldn't give up until it was too late for either to make it out. He said it was kinda spooky when he came across it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had rented a fully furnished condo in the town of Mammoth Lakes one summer. I had just gotten off after doing 8 months straight at-sea and was loaded. Having dreamt of living up there ever since I was a teenager growing up in the LA urban sprawl, this was the first time I actually had the chance to do so, so I went for it. Beautiful ski condo tastefully furnished with nothing but time, toys, and money on my hands.

I headed out to a neighboring lake one day, Convict Lake, for some scuba diving. As a happy life-long bachelor and lone-wolf personality, about everything I do is by myself, but I aim to stay well within my comfort zone and simply enjoy myself. Nothing to prove. Safe, or about as much as I can make it. So there I am donning my dry suit and associated paraphernalia. I get down, swim around just above the thermocline as once under it the visibility was cloudy and poor, find and scavenge numerous lures, and eventually pop to the top. I slightly inflate my bc and start swimming to shore. All of a sudden I notice something on top of the lake, some distance away, and heading right towards me, albeit mildly. I think nothing of it as I'm focused on my exit, but as it draws near I notice that it's a big pelican. Now mind you, I'm fully submerged and it's just my head bobbing out, wrapped tightly in a neoprene diving hood. And low and behold, this critter gets close, uncomfortably close, so much so that I make a commotion and swing my arms wildly to drive it away, because I couldn't determine it's intentions. I actually felt quite scared of it. We'll, it opened it's big mouth at me, slowly, closed it, and started circling me just almost out of arm's reach but not quite. When it opened it's beak at me slowly I felt as though it was telling me it meant me no harm. I can't quite explain that but that's what I felt.

So I get back to the task at hand of emerging out of the water and taking off my gear. The entire time this pelican was right behind me, and as I took my bc and tank off and laid them on the ground, it stuck it's head to where it's beak was almost touching them while staring at that stuff intently. It seemed to KNOW that was where the magic came from. Then it walked in circles around me and the gear just looking and observing. All within arms reach, I could easily have reached out and touched it.

It was something else, for both of us. Both of us trying to understand something just beyond our grasp. 2 sentient beings marveling at what they had just seen.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Saw a bull moose earnestly courting a cow elk during the rut. I called to him and he charged up the hill and cornered me in a thick patch of scrub oak. He must have really had the testosterone flowing.

I've also watched birds of prey follow my hunting dog around like they knew she was going to push some game out for them. Very interesting.

·
Registered
869 Posts
One time I had a red tail hawk fly over my head as I was walking the ceders and pick up a cotton tail in front of me about 20 yards. He couldn’t hardly fly with it kicking around. Another time We spotted 3 spike elk together the night before the opener and a pretty good buck was hanging out about 50 yards away with them. We shot two of the spikes the next morning. And one time I had to pee really bad so I stopped and started going and five bucks came running up the trail right to me and stopped at about 5 yards and we had a stare off . I was the only spike in that group 🦌

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Gives a whole new visual to ‘must leave proof of sex’.
Kinda really off topic, but I had a fish cop being a total azz hat one afternoon at a check station for no particular reason other than he didn’t like my blacked out headlights on my truck and that I had an unloaded, uncased rifle sitting up front with me and I didn’t have a tag seemed to be an issue with him too. He could clearly see we had killed a buck (head attached to the entire carcass) and still asked to see “proof of sex”. so I whipped out my phone and showed him a pic of my little boy. He saw zero humor in it, but the lady with the clipboard writing down all the info had to walk away trying to keep a straight face.

anyways, a dude slamming a dead animal is next level. Now it makes you wonder when someone tells you their cow meat is boned? 🤔

21 - 40 of 64 Posts