Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been thinking about some of the weird animal interactions I have seen over the years and wondered what you all have encountered. When we were growing up we had this mule that kept leaving our ranch and would be found with the same beef cow from a neighboring ranch. It happened over and over and would cover 5 miles to get there. I have seen elk and moose try to get cozy to horses in heat. In the West Desert their was a bull elk named Bernie that lived year round with beef cows. Bernie drove the rancher nuts because he was always trying to move the herd around. I even got photos and Bernie is probably still alive out there. Now your turn. Curious to what you have seen.
Not quite the level of Bernie but I saw this about a half mile from my house. He's actually been in there about 6 weeks. This is just the first time he's been close to the fence when I've been out. Always makes me wonder what's going through their mind. Like does this little guy think he's beef? Pretty interesting

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Not quite the level of Bernie but I saw this about a half mile from my house. He's actually been in there about 6 weeks. This is just the first time he's been close to the fence when I've been out. Always makes me wonder what's going through their mind. Like does this little guy think he's beef? Pretty interesting
I think if they are young enough then they will just remain with the beef cows if they stay in the area. I always thought the desire to mate would drive Bernie away eventually but he seemed to want to be with the herd more. Maybe as they mature they will leave.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts