Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of animal is this. To me it looks like it is a cross between a yote and a fox....but I didn't think they mixed.....so I'm just wonderin what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
how much would you say it weighed.....
could be a coy-dog?????
maybe an odd color phase, genetic defect coyote????
possibly a very young wolf????????
there are a few foxes runnin around here that have funny colored fur, said to have escaped from a furrier?????

wierd animal indeed, definetly k9.........

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I was watching some coyote hunting on You Tube and a guy was going nuts because a black Coyote was coming in and said that they are rare but do happen. Crazy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
the general "huskyness" and the facial features as well as the tail rule out a fox in my mind.
I would say definetly coyote. very neat! a mounter for sure!

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Loke, I don't think that it has a red fox tail. I am guessing it is a 'black' coyote, rare like a black mule deer/elk, it does happen.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK....I've been looking on the internet and I think that it's features are totally different than a red fox.....I've come to the conclusion that it is a BLACK COYOTE. But hey, I'm not an expert.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
UZ-A-BOW said:
I've come to the conclusion that it is a BLACK COYOTE. But hey, I'm not an expert.
You're right. I assume that this animal was taken back east somewhere as this is where most of these coyotes are taken.

The eastern and southen US has a huge feral dog problem (plenty of food in a less harsh environment) and at some point or another an eastern coyote had mated with a dog. Now these "black" coyotes are showing up all over the southern and eastern US, and I've seen pics of several in trapping magazines; some folks have caught several in a year.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thats Snickers! He has been lost for days now. I dont know how Ill ever tell my kids.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
InvaderZim said:
UZ-A-BOW said:
I've come to the conclusion that it is a BLACK COYOTE. But hey, I'm not an expert.
You're right. I assume that this animal was taken back east somewhere as this is where most of these coyotes are taken.

The eastern and southen US has a huge feral dog problem (plenty of food in a less harsh environment) and at some point or another an eastern coyote had mated with a dog. Now these "black" coyotes are showing up all over the southern and eastern US, and I've seen pics of several in trapping magazines; some folks have caught several in a year.
It was back east.......it was taken in Florida's pan handle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts