Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not want to go for the opener-O,- But hard sitting here waiting for a few posts on how it went Suns almost up,-8/-

·
1,666 Posts
Ha ha someone forgot to tell me that shooting time was at 6:56 and not 7:26 this morning.

Salt Creek was a war zone.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I wish I had a report to give, but I skipped the morning circus this year. I will be heading out this afternoon after the madness settles down. The weather looks like something we all hope for on opening day though.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that's amazing!!PM me the details :mrgreen:just kidding, nice pile of ducks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Shot 4 teal, but the new hunters I was with had a blast. My 13 year old cousin got his first duck. :grin: Should have had a bunch more, but my shooting was not up to par.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Had my limit by 11.

3 teal 2 gadwall 1 mallard and wigeon

Got out to my spot by 4:15. I thought I would have to fend people off left and right. To my surprise I didn't see a single person.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice limit

·
Registered
109 Posts
It was too dark to shoot at 6:56 but I scored 3 teal in 30 seconds when it got light enough. Limit of teal and mallard by 9:00 and my mile slog through the marsh had me all by myself. I was within earshot of the OB boat launch and got to listen to a fight break out about 30 minutes before shoot time.

·
1,666 Posts
Hunted Farmington Tonight. Lots of Birds. Ended up with 3 sneaky Cinnies. Would have been more, but I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat other than 1 occasion. The dog found two Cripple Cinnies. He out duck hunted me today, so I bought him dinner.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Excellent hunt with my son!
He shot his last two honks as a double and both were banded.
That was definitely the highlight of opening hour.
I don't care to shoot limits very often anymore, it's an age thing I guess, so I dumped a pair for jerky and quit.
We picked up and left the field with 'meat still on the bone' for the next 'meal'.
Everyone have fun and be safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow I have not seen that many geese around. Nice shooting!!

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Hunted Farmington Tonight. Lots of Birds. Ended up with 3 sneaky Cinnies. Would have been more, but I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat other than 1 occasion. The dog found two Cripple Cinnies. He out duck hunted me today, so I bought him dinner.
There are a lot of sick birds at Farmington that appear to be cripples. Be careful with your dog and cripples. Botulism can harm dogs too.

·
1,666 Posts
There are a lot of sick birds at Farmington that appear to be cripples. Be careful with your dog and cripples. Botulism can harm dogs too.
I was worried about it, until I saw the birds and saw they were shot.

Both were full of #2 pellets.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Definitely more crowded than last year. Last year, our group walked a really long way into the marsh, and had a very large and productive area all to ourselves. This year, we went to the same spot. We got there first, but by the time the sun came up we were sharing this same area with three other hunting parties. We wonder if we inspired a few folks last year who saw us from the dike.

Fortunately, they were all good neighbors, and we all shot some birds. I think we saw fewer birds overall than last year. Lots of geese though.

As a whole, I was impressed with the hunters I shared the marsh with. No early shooting, and not much litter either. I'm pretty sure I saw someone shoot a cormorant, though. :shock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts