Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is. This is all home made. It didnt cost me more than $275.00 I have been building this after work and on days off for the past two weeks. Cant wait to get out and try it.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
I am suprised that looks really good. Congrats, how many horsies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Nice job...Looks well crafted.
I bet your excited to give it a run. I bet it does great.
What did you use for your main propeller shaft?
And what propeller did you decide on?

Give us a report after it's maiden water run.
Did you christen it by breaking a bottle of champagne on is prop...
Good luck and nice job again

Spry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was able to use it on opening weekend. It worked ok. I wasnt able to try it out before the hunt, so I was expecting to have some problems. We took it out on Friday after noon when we got up to Idaho. It totaly fell apart. Luckily there was a hardware store there in the small town. A note to all of those that may attempt to build your own mud motor. USE LOCK TIGHT! I was losing bolts and nuts everwhere. Friday evening I was able to get it all put back together. Saturday it ran good. I couldn't run it higher than Idle because my boat was over loaded with four hunters and a dog, it would take on water if I went to fast. Saturday after noon on the way back though we shifted alot of the weight to the stern and i was able to throtle her up. Sunday morning I got a lesson on starting it in the cold. It floodded out because I turned the choke off too early. After a half an hour of crankin it with the fuel of to dry the cylinder out, It finaly started. Then on the way out the key way flew out and the yoke of the U joint was just spinning on the shaft. Luckily we only had a few hundred yards left to row. I was able to fix that when it got light enough. Monday though, I think all the kinks were worked out. One of my welds broke on the frame but it didnt seem to effect it. I have fixed that. So I think it is ready to go. Although there is onething. Have you ever noticed on the long tails how there is a plate that angles up by the prop. Yeah I thought it was just a safty thing. Well it has a ton to do with the motor. I applies down thrust on the end of the tail, to counter the upward thrust of the angled prop. It is kinda hard to drive with out it. The prop wants to come out of the water, so you have to pull up on the handle while ya drive it. All in all its not bad. Once I get that fixed I think it will be just about perfect. It will drive my boat fast enough to cut a wake. Maybe ten miles an hour. I dont think it gets on a plane. Maybe if I was the only thing in there it would. With a 90lbs lab,my 250lbs butt, and about 200lbs of gear in there I dont think it will. Anyway. Ill let ya know when I get the tail plate on if it works better.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top