Utah Wildlife Forum banner
5041 - 5060 of 5099 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The boy and I didn’t draw a **** thing. That said, I’m on my 2nd year of my dedicated tag, might draw a doe deer tag with 4 points and will buy the annual archery elk tag.

as for the boy, I told him his options are either spike elk or any bull, he chose any bull, even though I tried talking him into spike. Either way, he’s excited, so I’m happy.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
i figured at my age I better get it done. Didn’t want to wait much longer for the bull tag, and then not be able to do it. Should be an interesting and fun hunt. I still kick myself in the butt for when I had to turn the bull tag back in 8 years ago.
That was 8yrs ago already?! I know it was a tough call, but I'm just glad you're still around and pulled another one.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The boy and I didn’t draw a **** thing. That said, I’m on my 2nd year of my dedicated tag, might draw a doe deer tag with 4 points and will buy the annual archery elk tag.

as for the boy, I told him his options are either spike elk or any bull, he chose any bull, even though I tried talking him into spike. Either way, he’s excited, so I’m happy.
Your boys got style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ray

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I get it with vanilla, he loves points but, you boys need to broaden your horizons. I have 2 points and it’s too many for my tag this year. I sat out for my wife’s tag last year.

I have applied for a cow permit every one of those 5 years. I have not been hoarding points.

In fact, I apply for 6 people and all of us now have 5 cow elk points. They drastically cut tags in the southern portion of the Manti and it immediately caused people to start building points.

We now hunt up on the northern portion and should be able to draw no problem.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have applied for a cow permit every one of those 5 years. I have not been hoarding points.

In fact, I apply for 6 people and all of us now have 5 cow elk points. They drastically cut tags in the southern portion of the Manti and it immediately caused people to start building points.

We now hunt up on the northern portion and should be able to draw no problem.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Nice. That’s what I meant by broaden your horizons. Move to an easier to draw hunt.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Nice. That’s what I meant by broaden your horizons. Move to an easier to draw hunt.

Easier said than done on the antlerless. The year after the last time I drew a tag I did my research and found a unit I was 50/50 on drawing with 0 points. I took a chance there, didn’t draw.

The next year with 1 point I applied for the same unit as I would historically have been guaranteed to draw and I just wanted to hunt. That unit in its history had never required more than a point, and like I said, was decent odds forever with 0 points. Didn’t draw.

Then I had 2 points. So I found a unit that 1 point had guaranteed tags forever and applied. I didn’t draw. All the sudden I’m sitting on 3 cow elk points after having applied for units that never required points or at least more than 1 point. And that next year I saw units that had required 2-3 points move to 5 point units in one year!

The antlerless draws have turned into the biggest quagmire in our system, and that’s saying something. Point creep skyrocketed very quickly the last 5 years.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Easier said than done on the antlerless. The year after the last time I drew a tag I did my research and found a unit I was 50/50 on drawing with 0 points. I took a chance there, didn’t draw.

The next year with 1 point I applied for the same unit as I would historically have been guaranteed to draw and I just wanted to hunt. That unit in its history had never required more than a point, and like I said, was decent odds forever with 0 points. Didn’t draw.

Then I had 2 points. So I found a unit that 1 point had guaranteed tags forever and applied. I didn’t draw. All the sudden I’m sitting on 3 cow elk points after having applied for units that never required points or at least more than 1 point. And that next year I saw units that had required 2-3 points move to 5 point units in one year!

The antlerless draws have turned into the biggest quagmire in our system, and that’s saying something. Point creep skyrocketed very quickly the last 5 years.
Agreed! I have found the same thing true with the antlerless deer. I should have been guaranteed a permit with 1 point, didn't happen. then 2 points didn't happen. then 3 didn't happen. I'm sitting on 4 points now and wondering if I'm still not going to draw again this year.

·
Administrator
10,907 Posts

And I thought that I was the only one that had that kind of luck.....

The anterless system is where I would like to see Utah go to just a single point system for both deer and elk. You have 20 points and want to put in for a cow, then by all means put in for a cow but you loose all your points. Same with a doe deer, draw a doe tag and you loose your deer points. This would make applicants really think hard if they want to go on a cow meat hunt or save them for a LE bull or buck tag. j

When I was building points in Colorado for a high point deer and elk hunts I hunted every year on a second choice cow tag or a OTC either sex archery tag for both deer and elk.. But those cow tags now require a couple of points to draw.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I just checked my antlerless points and I have 8 doe pronghorn points. That SHOULD be plenty right? Like I said, who even knows anymore?
Yes 8 is plenty. I have 7. The biggest challenge for me is finding time to hunt it. The hunt dates always conflict with other hunts I have going that mean much more to me than a doe pronghorn hunt. I’m currently kicking around the idea of burning em on something but I have a dedicated deer tag that will potentially be a 3 month season so I probably won’t hunt this year and have 8 next year for my final year of dedicated.

So, I will likely have 9 points before I really want to hunt a doe.

I would agree with vanilla that the antlerless pronghorn draw is a quagmire. Takes at least 5 points for a decent chance at most if not all of the hunts.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Not just antlerless pronghorn. Multiple hunts on the Manti taking 5+ points to draw for cow elk. On the unit with the largest elk herd in the entire state.
Yes, those hunts are definitely jacked up.

Is it a decrease in permits or an increase in applicants driving those odds?

5041 - 5060 of 5099 Posts