Utah Wildlife Forum banner
5201 - 5220 of 5240 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Antlerless elk for me. Probably try to get a multi-season spike tag just for fun. Last year of DH so who knows what will happen next year. Maybe I can talk one of the grandkids into a mentor hunt.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
SUCCESSFUL: Antlerless Deer

Hunt: East Canyon, Davis-North Salt Lake
Weapon: Any Legal Weapon
Your season date(s): Aug 1 - Sept 16, 2022

I'm way more excited for this hunt than I have any right to be. I typically kick my hunting season off with doves on September 1. This year, I get to start a whole month early!

My prediction, based on prior draw odds, was that my 4 points would give me a 40-60% chance of drawing this hunt. Grateful to have a little bit of luck head my way.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
SUCCESSFUL: Antlerless Deer

Hunt: East Canyon, Davis-North Salt Lake
Your season date(s): Aug 1 - Sept 16, 2022

I'm way more excited for this hunt than I have any right to be. I typically kick my hunting season off with doves on September 1. This year, I get to start a whole month early!

My prediction, based on prior draw odds, was that my 4 points would give me a 40-60% chance of drawing this hunt. Grateful to have a little bit of luck head my way.
I didn’t pull it with 4 points. But my brother did with 4 points. I must have been that 40% that was unlucky…

I’d also like to state again, that 17 points (now) for a cow moose is absolutely retarded. At this points I might as well keep banking points and mentor the tag to my kids. It’s the only legitimate chance they’ll ever have at a Shiras moose In their lifetimes

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I struck out on all things antlerless. Guess I could have drawn the doe pronghorn tag if I really wanted to instead of just buying a point. Hopefully I can at least get my unlimited OTC archery elk tag. That should still be a go....I think.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I didn’t pull it with 4 points. But my brother did with 4 points. I must have been that 40% that was unlucky…

I’d also like to state again, that 17 points (now) for a cow moose is absolutely retarded. At this points I might as well keep banking points and mentor the tag to my kids. It’s the only legitimate chance they’ll ever have at a Shiras moose In their lifetimes
I have a friend who also didn't pull the tag with 4 points. Sounds like a familiar refrain.

Reactions: Wire

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Short of going to AK or Canada, you're probably right. Lower 48 opportunities are very few and far between.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
so I got a doe deer tag and the boy got a cow elk tag, I also have a dedicated tag, will get a rifle spike tag so I can hunt during my sons cow elk hunt, and will hit WY sage grouse, I’ve got a pretty busy year!

oh, and my buddy just got a new duck boat, so I’ll be hitting that a bunch!

I’ll only be able to hunt that cow elk hunt a couple days since my wife is due literally in the middle of it but will still be fun!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I didn't do well on the regular draw (nothing, nada, zero), but I did great on the antlerless hunts. I did a lot of research and strategizing and drew two tags. Both hunts have some downsides to them, but I knew that going in and figured I'd rather be in the game than sitting home.

SUCCESSFUL: Antlerless Deer (took me 2 points to draw)
Hunt: Box Elder, West Bear River
Weapon: Archery Muzzleloader Shotgun Only
Your season date(s): Aug 20 - Oct 9, 2022
SUCCESSFUL: Antlerless Elk (took me 0 points to draw)
Hunt: Nine Mile, West Anthro
Your season date(s): Dec 10, 2022 - Jan 1, 2023

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a friend who also didn't pull the tag with 4 points. Sounds like a familiar refrain.
Do you know how many tags were cut for whatever unit he put in for? Technically speaking I should have drawn last year with 4 points, but I was an unlucky dumbf**k whos first choice was Horn Mountain ( 5 tags) and second choice was Nebo (60ish tags). Naturally there was exactly 5 guys with 5 points, who took the only 5 tags. I probably could have drawn Horn mountain this year, but didn't want to chance it again, and logistcally speaking, it's not the greatest unit, and nebo is closer to home. (less gas)

I'll, ahh.. see ya on the nebo late fall and early winter this year. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Just shoot a doe with your bow on the extended if you really want to shoot a doe. Takes no points as long as you had an archery tag that season.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

5201 - 5220 of 5240 Posts