Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to hunting and drew a tag for West Wasatch general buck tag. I have been looking at my OnX and decided to check out a couple of spots west of strawberry lake. I have tried two weekends in a row now to go scouting and it seems very hard to go up the roads as they are super rocky and seems like it would take forever to get there. Are there better roads to take to go into wasatach or are they all rocky. It seems like you would need an Atv to go hunting over there. Please let me know if you guys know if maybe there are better roads to go in from.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Gezz
You should have seen the Wasatch West roads back in the 70s!

Highways now.....LOL

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Drive up the oil road next to the reservoir and park at any pull out and begin hoofing it up the hill. Sit on a log when you get to the top and wait. Its so dang busy on that unit you'll have a deer pushed passed you.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Back in the 60's and early 70's more people hunted out of cars than trucks I believe. People couldn't afford two vehicles and those that had trucks usually had a business to uses them for. Even cars were hauling big trailers instead of trucks.

But like Taxidermist said, park at the bottom and start hoofing it. That is all we used to do before everyone had a 4x4, ATV, or motorcycle.

One thing if you don't like the rocks now wait until it gets wet.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
When I was in high school I had a old 42 Ford Military Jeep and during the deer hunts I could keep myself in spending money by towing folks out of the hills with it. Mostly in the Wasatch West area in Hobble Creek Canyon, Squaw Peak loop road and Strawberry down to Shoulder Summit.

They would be up there is some of the nicer cars and then get stuck in a mud hole and then have to walk out. They learned that as long as they were moving they were fine but as soon as they pulled over and stopped they were done for.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Back in the 60's and early 70's more people hunted out of cars than trucks I believe. People couldn't afford two vehicles and those that had trucks usually had a business to uses them for. Even cars were hauling big trailers instead of trucks.
Revisionist history? If you had one vehicle it was a truck. 5-6 in cab and rest rode in back if needed. A big trailer was 18 foot with a bathroom.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Revisionist history? If you had one vehicle it was a truck. 5-6 in cab and rest rode in back if needed. A big trailer was 18 foot with a bathroom.
Actually back in the 60's and early 70's if you only had one vehicle it was a sedan to haul the family around. Trucks were not that popular with the majority of the population

The bathroom for the trailer was out back in the trees.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nrede I know what your talking about more importantly i know Where you are talking about! there are roads that go across the top of that mountain (main canyon) that you can get to buy other canyons, i took that road in my truck early this year and it is nothing a car could do because of the rocks, so my advice is find a different canyon to go up go across the top and get back to that area not the amount of vehicles going up and down the road. i will be there on the muzzy hunt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahahah yep you know the spot. I decide to just hike into it from a different angle. Hopefully its worth the effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts