Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
It seems that when crap brakes, its everything at once.

The round thing, is a bearing race coupler. I believe there is a love joy coupler with it. Depends on the make of the shaft I'd imagine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Fowl,
Try heating up the u-joint portion with a torch. That should expand the metal just enough that it will help you punch out the keystock. The trick is finding the point where the u-joint heats up, but before it starts heating up the keystock. Also, only try this if the u-joint is only touching metal. You don't want to heat it up if there are any plastic bushings or anything that could melt or warp.

I sell electric motors for my job, and when we do bearing swaps, the tolerances are so tight that we have to heat them to get the bearings on and off the shafts. So in principle I think that will work for your situation as well.

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck. When it rains it pours. I've had days like that with my boat when it makes me just want to park the boat and never touch it again.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Steel expands .001" per 100F temperature increase. Heating or freezing things does help get them into and out of tight spaces.

But in this case... if you cant heat it with MAP or Acetylene, just keep beating on it. As the key gets pushed further in, its hard to get a drift punch on it... Get a slightly smaller key to drive behind the stuck key and beat the hell out of it. :)

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks guys! And to top it all off, I started my Jeep this morning and a check engine light came on. Scanned it and need a evaporative selenoid.
I'm not adding salt to the wound, but, you know jeep means...Just Empty Every Pocket. I owned jeeps from CJ's to TJ's from 1976-1995 and when they ran, they were great and fun. But, they would fail it seemed when you needed them the most.

I hope your run of luck turns better for you and you become a happy camper once again.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the shaft separated from the U Joint. What a bugger. I need to clean up the keyway a bit with a file, but it’s out and that’s all that matters at this point. Thanks for the suggestions! Oh! and there was nothing left of the bearing, only the race and it came out easily with some anger.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
Got the shaft separated from the U Joint. What a bugger. I need to clean up the keyway a bit with a file, but it’s out and that’s all that matters at this point. Thanks for the suggestions! Oh! and there was nothing left of the bearing, only the race and it came out easily with some anger.
The key to doing this maintenance is removing the motor first. I know I had the smaller version of the long tail but there are certain steps and this job isn't that bad. Looks like I am late to the show though. Your going to have to get the drive shaft out to pull the bearing. So your going to have to pull the motor anyway. Got a bit more work ahead of you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts