Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always interesting for me to hear about the planned adventures of other people. So what'cha got and where ya goin'?

2022:
Texas low fenced hunt - strictly for my son (two buck tags). CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!!! He's been shooting his 243 weekly and is getting pretty good with it.

Utah:
GS Deer: I've got three points, so hopefully that'll be enough for a dedicated tag.
LE: Elk - this will be my first year off the waitlist
OIAL: Mountain Goat (pipedream)

Wyoming:
I've got plenty of points for deer and antelope, but I'm not sure I want to draw. I might just keep hoarding points and split them with my son. For elk, I'm kind of in no-mans-land; too many points to throw at the general, but not enough to draw one of the upper tier units.

Montana:
RM Bighorn - - - I can wish, right?!?!

New Mexico:
RM Bighorn in the outfitter draw - - - once again, I can wish, right?!?!

Colorado:
Points for sheep, moose, deer and elk.
I have a lead on a great voucher, so that's exciting!

Registered
New Mexico:
RM Bighorn in the outfitter draw - - - once again, I can wish, right?!?!
Choose the Rio Grande Gorge for your NM bighorn sheep. Nice rams in rolling hill country at 6,500 ft.

UT:
LE antelope (thinking muzzy since they won't take my variable scope away 馃槈).

NM:
Not sure. Unit 2 muzzy bull and two cow elk choices? I will load my daughter up (the one who recently got her cow after Christmas) on elk, deer, antelope, and BH sheep.

AZ:
Nada

CO:
Nada

Administrator
Leaving in a couple of weeks for javelina HAM season down in Arizona.

Utah, my muzzle loader deer tag is up in the air right now as far as where I am going to get the tag for. Other than that I'll put in for the Book Cliffs muzzy deer, Cisco area for pronghorn, and I haven't made up my mind on what bison unit I may try for.

Colorado, unit 44 muzzy deer tag and a OTC elk tag perhaps.

Wyoming, just points for deer and pronghorn since my hunting partner passed away I can drag my feet for a while before I decide what unit I want to hunt.

Come the end of May I'll hop a flight from Dallas to Doha, Qutar and then to South Africa for a 10 day 10 animal safari.

Registered
Finished DH last season.

This year I will apply for MZ Elk (9pts), DH and GS Deer. I'm a shoe in for a cow elk tag (fingers crossed) so I might go for one of those if the MZ app gets denied.

If all that fails I will buy an OTC multi-season tag or archery elk tag.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Registered
Utah: muzzy general deer (3 points). Dedicated deer (1 point). LE late muzzy deer (5 points). Mtn goat (16 points). cow moose (16 points). Doe pronghorn (5 points). Doe deer (4 points). Cow elk (3 points). Swan (1 point). Multi season spike. I drew a spring turkey tag (6 points). Fall turkey OTC and I鈥檒l buy a spot and stalk lion tag just in case. Hopefully we get some water to float a boat and fill the gaps with duck hunts, but we鈥檒l have to see how the rest of the snow season plays out.

Wyoming: 3 points for pronghorn and 14 points for deer. Who knows where that will land

was supposed to go Africa last year, Covid had other plans. Was supposed to go to Africa this year, surprise baby is due around that time, so I canceled that trip all together. My dad and brother are still going. Might do Texas this November, but no official plans on that yet.

Registered
Man everyone's stuff seems so much more exciting than mine.

I'll be buying a general season deer point, and likely a dedicated hunter point but may put in. Not certain yet. I will put in for a CWMU bull moose tag with little hopes of drawing, and I'll put in for a limited entry deer permit with ZERO points, and ZERO chance of drawing!

I do have a good number of Wyoming deer points and think I will use them this year with a friend. Should both draw. I'll buy another Wyoming antelope point in hopes of hunting next year. I'll pick a point up in Colorado for deer and elk too.

I will have four sons in the draws as well.

General season any weapon deer for them, then I'll put a couple of the boys in on a CWMU buck deer that I think is a sleeper, another son for LE elk, and one for LE antelope.

Registered
I am nearly at maximum points for a Nevada desert bighorn ewe tag. There are no guaranteed tags in the Nevada draw, but sooner or later it ought to happen. I'm hoping 2022 will be the year. That's my somewhat realistic hope for the year. Besides that, I'll apply for a bunch of longshot tags that I'm not lucky enough to draw.

I should be able to draw general buck and doe deer tags in Utah. Maybe a Wyoming antelope tag if nothing else turns up.

And thankfully, there's always turkey and waterfowl.

Registered
Between me, the wife, and our kids we should draw 4 UT deer tags, my wife will draw her bison tag, and I will draw rocky sheep and my kids should all draw LE early season elk tags. My daughter will draw CO moose and we should have 2-4 CO 3rd season deer tags in the family. Probably a couple buck pronghorn and 3 doe pronghorn tags in WY. I'll draw Clarq's NV ewe BH tag. My daughter and I will draw Auodad in NM and we will get her a broken Oryx tag. Probably hunt Sitka Btails in AK and Johnny will take us to hunt mtn goats- might even fish while we are there if we get bored.

Never hunted swan before but I'll draw that with my daughter too, and then use the poor-girl-doesn't-know-where-to-hunt card to get Moosemeat to take us out and shoot one in an hour on a Saturday morning. Shouldn't be too hard- she'll use a 410 with TSS shot loaded for us by Toasty. Paddler will be able to help me get my first band- he has plenty of photos to choose one to target before we head out- I may even borrow one of his 16ga for the hunt. We may draw some antlerless tags in UT to fill in the down time. Then I'll take my sons to MX and shoot a couple desert muleys and coues bucks, but that will be in Jan of 2023.

Either all that or we will end up with a couple general season deer tags and a handful of general season elk permits for our camping trip. (I intermingled tags and permits to make elkfromabove tense if he happens to read this post)

Registered
Between me, the wife, and our kids we should draw 4 UT deer tags, my wife will draw her bison tag, and I will draw rocky sheep and my kids should all draw LE early season elk tags. My daughter will draw CO moose and we should have 2-4 CO 3rd season deer tags in the family. Probably a couple buck pronghorn and 3 doe pronghorn tags in WY. I'll draw Clarq's NV ewe BH tag. My daughter and I will draw Auodad in NM and we will get her a broken Oryx tag. Probably hunt Sitka Btails in AK and Johnny will take us to hunt mtn goats- might even fish while we are there if we get bored.

Never hunted swan before but I'll draw that with my daughter too, and then use the poor-girl-doesn't-know-where-to-hunt card to get Moosemeat to take us out and shoot one in an hour on a Saturday morning. Shouldn't be too hard- she'll use a 410 with TSS shot loaded for us by Toasty. Paddler will be able to help me get my first band- he has plenty of photos to choose one to target before we head out- I may even borrow one of his 16ga for the hunt. We may draw some antlerless tags in UT to fill in the down time. Then I'll take my sons to MX and shoot a couple desert muleys and coues bucks, but that will be in Jan of 2023.

Either all that or we will end up with a couple general season deer tags and a handful of general season elk permits for our camping trip. (I intermingled tags and permits to make elkfromabove tense if he happens to read this post)
If she draws a BH oryx tag, PM me.

Registered
Apply for a GS ML deer somewhere. If the group doesn't draw, well, I'll be fishing if I get the big motor on the "money pit" running perfect.

Registered
Leaving in a couple of weeks for javelina HAM season down in Arizona.

Utah, my muzzle loader deer tag is up in the air right now as far as where I am going to get the tag for. Other than that I'll put in for the Book Cliffs muzzy deer, Cisco area for pronghorn, and I haven't made up my mind on what bison unit I may try for.

Colorado, unit 44 muzzy deer tag and a OTC elk tag perhaps.

Wyoming, just points for deer and pronghorn since my hunting partner passed away I can drag my feet for a while before I decide what unit I want to hunt.

Come the end of May I'll hop a flight from Dallas to Doha, Qutar and then to South Africa for a 10 day 10 animal safari.

critter. put in for the book cliffs hunter choice bison tag. you draw that one i am there for you all you have to do is ask.

Administrator
critter. put in for the book cliffs hunter choice bison tag. you draw that one i am there for you all you have to do is ask.
That's where I have put in for the last couple of years. I've even toyed with the idea of putting in for the Roadless area, but then I'd have to hire a outfitter with horses.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
LE Deer (19 points)
GS rifle deer (2 points)
Probably CWMU for moose (20 points)
General Season Any Bull Elk
Possibly Wyoming deer (Region G)
Slim possibility Colorado deer (landowner permit)

I'll buy moose and LE elk points for the wife (she's working and going to school)

And then random stuff for my 3 kids

Registered
I think I'm going to invite myself on Packout's adventures this year. Sounds a little better than what I have planned. Here's the tags I realistically think either myself or my family will draw this Fall.

Spring GS turkey tags
4 Utah GS deer tags. One for myself, my wife, and 2 oldest boys
WY deer tag in either G or H
Cow elk tag for my oldest boy
I have an outside chance for the CO deer tag I'd like.
Could also draw a couple of antelope doe tags in UT if we put in. Will need to check my boys Fall schedules before we decide on these.
I'll also put myself and the rest of the family in for Utah LE elk tags and OIL tags, but those are all long shots.

With the current points we have in the family we should have enough points to draw several good tags to have a fun hunting season. Hopefully we get lucky and draw 1 or 2 that we aren't expecting!

Registered
Okay, here is my usual:

LE muzzle elk - 16 points
Buffalo - 20 points
General deer - lifetime lisc, prob do muzzle (yes, I鈥檒l use my scoped gun)
General elk - do the 3 season if available this year. If not, archery.
Landowner cow tag.
Early season turkey - got the tag this year.
General deer for daughter.

Should give me plenty of time on the mountain this fall.
If I get something, great. If not, that is not a problem.
I鈥檓 just glad to be anywhere anymore.

Registered
19 LE Bull Elk points should get me the early rifle tag I want this year. And I'm one of the lucky suckers with a lifetime license, so I'll have my GS deer tag.

I have 22 bison points, so I'm getting close, but not quite there yet for the Hunters Choice tag I dream of. And with the elk hunt on the horizon, I think I'll just get another bonus point for bison this fall. 3 points for antlerless elk and pronghorn, so I think I'll keep building those as well.

Then fill in the rest of the fall and winter with my primary passion of waterfowl hunting. Lots of days in the marsh and goose fields, and a handful of trips out of state chasing webbed feet.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts