Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I'm honestly not sure yet what I'm going to end up doing for hunting next season. I like to try to have at least one big adventure each year.

I had been planning on finally chasing sheep or taking another stab at goats (I've got my heart set on doing a Kodiak goat hunt in March sometime). But with COVID screwing up my lungs and that recovery is just not making progress after +1.5yrs, I'm having to be a bit more honest and practical with myself than I care to admit. Until I can hike with at least 75lbs on my back again, I've got no business doing big game mountain hunts. Right now 20lbs in the pack on flat ground still leaves me huffing and puffing after 10 yards.

So that is putting me in an interesting quandary. I'm not willing to make a big financial commitment on flights/etc to do a cool hunt on the hope that by the time comes to go my lungs are recovered. So unless I can get other willing idiots to do the heavy lifting, or only kill stuff close to a road/trail (which I know me, I'll head out with struct intentions of not going off trail and then tell my prior resolutions to screw off at the first sight of an animal +5 miles and 3 ridges away), then I might be stuck only chasing birds and small game with Ava in 2022. And while that's a ton of fun too, it just doesn't scratch the itch the same way as big game for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well since my far fetched hopes are not even a shadow of reality, I think this one line in your possibilities would be better than anything we may draw! I love western WY....
I may have some questions for you later this Summer if I do get a WY tag. I've never hunted either G or H, so if I draw either it will be a learning experience for me. I'm right on the cusp of G or I could put in with a buddy for H and with both our points we should definitely draw H tags.

·
Administrator
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm honestly not sure yet what I'm going to end up doing for hunting next season. I like to try to have at least one big adventure each year.

I had been planning on finally chasing sheep or taking another stab at goats (I've got my heart set on doing a Kodiak goat hunt in March sometime). But with COVID screwing up my lungs and that recovery is just not making progress after +1.5yrs, I'm having to be a bit more honest and practical with myself than I care to admit. Until I can hike with at least 75lbs on my back again, I've got no business doing big game mountain hunts. Right now 20lbs in the pack on flat ground still leaves me huffing and puffing after 10 yards.

So that is putting me in an interesting quandary. I'm not willing to make a big financial commitment on flights/etc to do a cool hunt on the hope that by the time comes to go my lungs are recovered. So unless I can get other willing idiots to do the heavy lifting, or only kill stuff close to a road/trail (which I know me, I'll head out with struct intentions of not going off trail and then tell my prior resolutions to screw off at the first sight of an animal +5 miles and 3 ridges away), then I might be stuck only chasing birds and small game with Ava in 2022. And while that's a ton of fun too, it just doesn't scratch the itch the same way as big game for me.
JC - I'm your huckleberry! I'm itching to get back to AK and a goat hunt is a great excuse!

We'll have the pilot drop a couple cans of Diet Mtn. Dew and some Reese's Peanut Butter cups at the top and that'll be all the motivation I need to get up the hill (carrying my pack and yours)!

·
Registered
225 Posts
GS Deer - currently undecided on weapon (0 points)
LE Elk - debating where to throw my 11 points
OIL Moose - I'm guaranteed this year with 13 points right
General Elk (assuming no LE draw) - I'll get some kind of tag for some weapon
Other States - depends on who wants to offer an invite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hmmm....here's what I think may happen this year.

Me (UT):
GS spring turkey
GS elk (maybe - depends on motivation)
Cow elk (4 pts)
Mtn Goat (6 pts)
Lots of ducks to fill gaps...some cold late season weather would really help out

WY:
Doe antelope (hopefully...on a 2-year snide)
Elk: have 14 points, get another
Buck antelope: 1 point, get another

OK:
Hunting whitetails with archery and rifle during rut. Haven't been excited for deer in a few years, but this hunt is getting me there.

CO:
Points for deer and elk (9 each)

Wife (UT):
RM Bighorn (19 points) - Hunt?
LE elk (18 points) - Hunt?
Doe antelope - point (1)

WY:
Doe antelope - One can hope

Son:
UT:
Sping GS Turkey
GS Deer (point)
LE elk (point)
Mtn Goat (point)

WY:
Doe antelope - One can hope
Buck antelope - One can hope

OK:
Whitetail rifle

Truth be told, Packout or CPA Jeff's adventures sound so much better. Someday, I'll be that cool!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I’ll only list what I will draw or have good odds
UT
GS turkey
2nd year dedicated
GS archery elk
Doe deer (4 points, might draw)
Doe antelope (3points, we’ll see)

WY
Antelope doe, only have 2 points so probably won’t draw a buck tag

wife
Cow elk (has 3 points)
GS deer, muzzleloader

son
He’s turning 12 this year and finally able to hunt big game, we’ll see what tags I can get him!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Hunts I will do:

Second year of DH deer

Multi season spike or any weapon spike elk. After many years of hunting the steep and deep on the any bull hunt I’m excited to get back to chasing spikes with family and having more of a relaxing camp with family experience. We have a nice warm comfy trailer now so it will be a nice change of comfort level compared to the pack in and sleep on the cold ground in my one man tent. Looking forward to continuing the quest to get my daughter her first elk.

Potential hunts:

16 points bull moose
15 points cow moose
8 points LE deer (considering burning these for a late muzzy hunt)
7 points doe antelope
3 points doe deer
2 points cow elk

Should be able to put together another hunt or 2 with these options excluding the moose hunts which I’m many many years from if I don’t die first.

This all Utah. I still haven’t jumped to out of state hunts and not sure I ever will but I do have a couple Wyoming buck antelope points so I plan on getting another one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
6 LE ELK points, thinking about cashing out for archery tag in either Wasatch or Oquirrh unit. I have pro and cons for each unit given my current circumstances and would appreciate any input from anyone who has experience archery hunting bulls in either of those units. Might also choose to wait...having some commitment issues on this lol.

1 GS BUCK DEER points, Likely to try drawing archery permit in my home unit.

Will try to draw some antlerless tags depending on how the LE ELK and GS DEER draws go, and buy bull/cow moose points.

Hunt GS Turkey since we didn't draw.

That is probably it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, was in the woods the day after Thanksgiving out looking for elk and had an accident that messed my high ankle(syndesmosis) up with a tibial fracture that required surgery to fix and they are also thinking a meniscus tear in my knee. So I'm focusing my spring on recovery from that to be able to trust my left side while out this fall.

My 9yo is taking Hunters Safety course\test at the end of this month, so may try to get out for a general turkey tag with him. We've been out shooting the new .22 he got for Christmas and I'm learning that seeing him enjoy and get excited about it is better than my own opportunities.

For me, hoping to draw a Muzzleloader deer tag with 0 points or pull a lucky number and draw LE Deer with 2 pts. Multi-season spike tag. Apply and hope to draw a late season cow tag (probably won't). Then looking at Colorado OTC elk. Also tossing around the idea of applying for Coues in AZ in December as well. My brother did that this year and came back raving about it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well, was in the woods the day after Thanksgiving out looking for elk and had an accident that messed my high ankle(syndesmosis) up with a tibial fracture that required surgery to fix and they are also thinking a meniscus tear in my knee. So I'm focusing my spring on recovery from that to be able to trust my left side while out this fall.
Hopefully you were close to a road or your truck when that happened! My biggest fear is I’ll break a leg or foot when I’m in some hole without cell service and I’ll be screwed! I did break my arm while hunting solo In remote place 5 or so years ago. Hiking out and riding my dirtbike back to the truck with that injury was challenging to say the least. Can’t imagine a leg problem. Best wishes on getting better! Hopefully you heal quickly and are ready to go next season

·
Registered
502 Posts
After a LONG 2021 season and tagging out on 5 of my 6 tags, I'm going to be taking it somewhat easy in 2022.

UT:
Deer - Dedicated Hunter
Elk - Multiseason Spike
LE Antelope - Most likely an archery tag that I can draw with two points, last year for LE Elk waiting period.

WY:
Antelope
General Elk

MT: (Possibly)
Mule Deer
Antelope

AZ:
Coues Deer

I know of a few people that will be drawing OIL and LE Elk tags, so hopefully I will have time to get out and help them throughout the year and during their hunt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hopefully you were close to a road or your truck when that happened! My biggest fear is I’ll break a leg or foot when I’m in some hole without cell service and I’ll be screwed! I did break my arm while hunting solo In remote place 5 or so years ago. Hiking out and riding my dirtbike back to the truck with that injury was challenging to say the least. Can’t imagine a leg problem. Best wishes on getting better! Hopefully you heal quickly and are ready to go next season
Thank you for the well wishes. I was fortunate it was on the way back to the truck and was only about 1/4 mile from the truck. Somehow got to the bottom of the canyon from the ridge I was on and was able to use my trekking poles on the trail in the bottom of the canyon out. I never would've made it out without the poles and quality boots (Asolo's). Anyone in the area I'm sure learned some colorful language and phrases if they heard the echoes.

I've had a lot of time to contemplate after the injury. I've now added a Garmin In-Reach to my wish list, more for my wife and her piece of mind than anything, but it does give me a level of comfort knowing I could have that. Until I had something happen, I felt a bit invincible, but realize now just how lucky I've been. Coming out with an injury is miserable, I can't imagine had this happened way back in.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Utah:
0 Points for LE Elk, time to start over this year. I'll probably apply for a late season tag on one of the mid-tier units.
2 Gen Deer, debating what to do here. Probably Rifle up north somewhere.
Spring Turkey, drew the early (never hunted them, so I am excited to try it out.)
4 Antlerless Elk put in with some friends who have none and go hunt, sick of waiting

Wyoming:
9 Antelope Points, I think I will burn them this year. Never hunted buck antelope or out of state, so I am excited about this one and will probably be my "Big Hunt" this year.
9 Deer point, will probably keep buying points, don't even know what to do with 9.

Colorado:
3 Deer points.

All in all, nothing too crazy this year. I am really excited about the antelope tag, it should be a lot of fun and I hope to find a good buck. Still debating on which unit to hunt.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
LE elk, I have one point so I should be good to go;)

Muzzy deer if I draw

Spike elk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts