Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Savage rig I built up for shooting prairie dogs, which I haven't done in years. Its a 6BR Norma in a heavy laminated stock (below). I'm thinking of breaking it down and re-barreling it to an antelope & deer rifle. I'm missing that mid cal rifle selection in the safe. Being a short action (308 bolt face) I'm thinking 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22-24" #4 or 5 contour barrel. Reading it seems like the 6.5, 260 & 7mm-08 are all right there together regarding ballistics(?) Any other cal's I should be considering and any thoughts between the ones I've already listed? Don't see the need to push anything bigger then 140gr bullets.

Anyone have a Manners stock? Not sure I want to spend the $$, but they look like nice stocks. Plan is to ultimately screw a suppressor on the rifle as well.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If 140 is the top end of the bullet weight range that you want, I would go with a 6.5. The Creedmore shooting 130's is very similar to the quintessential 270 Win. Who can argue with that performance on deer and antelope?

While this is the decision that makes the most sense, I personally would build the Ackley Improved version of the 257 Roberts........but I'm a weirdo like that.-----SS

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will shooting heavier then the 140's out of those cals benefits me much for deer & antelope in regards to performance(?) My son has a 7mm-08 now which we are reloading for, but adding another die set to the mix is no big deal. I've read the 6.5 has a little more room for seating longer bullets over the 7-08.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Bullets of the same weight will have a better BC in 6.5 vs 7MM. If you want to shoot 120-140, 6.5 has the edge in BC/SD. Nowhere near enough difference to make one iota of difference in field performance. 7-08 is a great choice too and it will most likely achieve enough velocity increase to make up any advantage that a short 6.5 would have in BC.

All that being said, you should build a 257 Ackley and be a weirdo like me.-----SS

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
I'd vote for a 6.5x284 Norma just 'cause....I like them a lot. All of the calibers mentioned would be great for deer and antelope but I really like the 140gr A-Max bullets out of the 6.5x284.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
For the sake of being simplistic, I'd go with either 6.5 CM or 260. I don't think there's a big enough difference between the two, I just know there are plenty of guys that have a preference for one or the other. I seem to see way more brass for the 6.5 CM than the 260, but that's probably because I'm not looking at Lapua brass...

That last sentence made me think of another option - the 6.5x47 Lapua. My uncle built one recently and he's been very pleased with the performance of the 130 VLD.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
As mentioned, 6.5 is where it is at. After much research I decided on the 6.5x47 Lapua. Tamer shoulder makes for almost no need to ever trim and Lapua brass lasts forever, friend I know has I think 18 reloads on his last I asked; I dont think he has ever even annealed them. Another thing he really likes, he shoots competitively, is the small primer, which is rare in anything using 308 bolt face. Smaller primer makes for that much more brass holding it in place to allow for higher pressures and stronger overall.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate the info gents....just need to find a quarter and give it a flip to decide:-?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Appreciate the info gents....just need to find a quarter and give it a flip to decide:-?
Maybe we need a discussion on types of Quarters then. Washington? Liberty (we should debate Standing vs Sitting)? Clad? Silver (90%? 40%?)?

Maybe a US State quarter, do you need it to be a Utah Quarter? Would a Wyoming Quarter work?

:mrgreen:

-DallanC

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Isn't the 257 a long action? If it is he wants a short action.

So in a short action hunting round I'd go 7mm08 125 grain bullets. It's about as perfect as you can get for a short action gun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
257 with longer bullets won't work as a repeater in a short action unaltered...from what I've read.

·
Administrator
21,349 Posts
I vote 6.5 Creedmore or .260; not much difference really.

Here, in the southwest Wyoming part of Utah, the Creedmore is popular for dispatching pipeline marker signs at great distances and the .260 is using for hunting.

And it goes without saying: make sure the magazine will take the long bullets.

·
Administrator
7,924 Posts
One thing that I don't think I have read on this thread is: what bolt face do you have? I assume a .308 bolt face?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts