Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its illegal to carry in a federal building. And there are actual federal buildings listed in the state (16 of them), post offices etc etc.

But what about buildings such as business parks where there is a federal office within a building also used by other companies? Such as a Social Security office located in a office building? Is the entire building off limits to ccp, or just the actual floor / office of the Social Security? What about the Parking lot?

The question came up in a discussion with a friend, and to be honest I dont have any idea. I would think if the rest of the building is NOT federal you would be ok being in it with a firearm, just not in the area / floor of the actual federal office (like the SS example above).

Thoughts?

-DallanC

·
Administrator
7,869 Posts
I think your train of thought is correct Dallan. Just avoid going into the Federal office, but theoretically you could go into the adjoining office operated by a private firm.

I'm just pulling that answer outta my bum, but it seems logical to me.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I am pretty sure the metal detector was located at the office entrants not the building entrants at the IRS downtown.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
My experience with Social Security in the Ogden federal building was that you can't even get into the building without going through a security check point. The same at Hill Air Force base. With all the security I've seen at these I can't imagine the federal government having any office in an unsecured enviornment. I don't really know if the post office is considered a federal facility though.
I didn't even think about the small (1-3/4" blade) pocket knife in my pocket when I emptied my pockets at the security check point.:( but at least the well armed guards with their pistols and tazers and amored vests were kind enough not to throw an old man on the ground as a threat and allowed me to take it back out to my car.:)
Anyway I'm pretty sure they will have plenty of signage up before go through security.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think your train of thought is correct Dallan. Just avoid going into the Federal office, but theoretically you could go into the adjoining office operated by a private firm.

I'm just pulling that answer outta my bum, but it seems logical to me.
Rectal Extractions are my preferred method for generating statistics...
:p

·
Registered
642 Posts
You can't take your legally CC'd pistol into a U.S. Post Office.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts