Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does your decoy spread look like this late in the season? I've got a few open water spots I hunt, and it seems most ducks I see on the water are pretty close together.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Where I was hunting this last time, I think I'd have done better (not that it was a bad hunt) but the ducks landing around me were all bunched up in a big wad. Some of the little short video shows some of the spoonies hovering looking for a place to squeeze in amongst all the others. I'd guess that might be the case anywhere else as well.... they are squeezing together on any open water or even ice and I don't know if thats for warmth, security or what but the ducks I've seen lately are definitely more clumped up as opposed to the spread out, plenty of distance look you see a lot earlier in the season. It would be cool if somebody posted up aerial shots of ducks on the water... just to possibly show how they sit at different times of the year, or if they're the same all the time...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm down to three dekes, in little puddles of water. It's hit or miss. I iced a limit in 35 minutes two-weekends ago, last week I pulled in one mallard that I tagged and about 15 shovelers and golden eyes that I let land (mercury worries).

·
Registered
376 Posts
last time i went out we had a half dozen mallards and a mojo. between the fourof us we all got our birds in about 4 hours. we set up the decoys in aline about a foot or so apart. we were hunting a piece of about 30x30 foot open water

1 - 5 of 5 Posts