Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not actually going hunting friday night, but in years past I've have, and have ponderd this question? I have shot deer at night and waited until the morning to track them. How do you prove to a ticket happy G.W. that you legally shot him the day before? :(

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You said you have "shot deer at night" ?? That right there is illegal. As far as shooting one on the last day of the hunt and finding it in the morning, you should be okay, when you go to find it the next morning, you probably shouldnt bring your bow with you.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry' I guess I should clarify I always call it the night hunt. Which is actually the evening hunt. That would make sense leaving the bow at camp. But once a friend of mine mad a bad shoot on an elk, in the evening. We found him the next morning still able to move, not fast however. If we didn't have the bows it would have been quite an adventure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
lehi is right on, I once shot a deer with my bow just before sunset on the last night and the DWR official told me not to take a weapon the next day and to fill my tag out for the day prior if found. If you have a weapons permit you should be ok to pack a concealed firearm.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just got back from my last morning elk hunt and I wondered this same question as I have had to go in the next morning on different occasions. I thought I would do the following. I would use my digital camera to film me making a phone call to my wife, and use the phone records to show when that call was made, and then film some blood. Just in case.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Bears Butt said:
Having a concealed weapons permit is ok, just don't use the gun on a wounded animal! Instant problem!

Better to jump on it's back and cut it's throat! What a story you could tell then.
just make sure you call epek and bring him along so he could work on its joints while you finish it off with your knife.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't know if I told this story before or not, but I did have to cut the throat of a very live deer once and got kicked about 127 times while I sawed at his throat, first cutting the wind pipe and then finally getting to the juglar.

·
Registered
380 Posts
127 times Epek! I bet that with each kick you counted outloud..."Ouch! That one I will let you get away with...but if you try that again!!!!....Ouch! Okay, so maybe I will let you slide with that one cause you saw this knife...but I am warning you!....Ouch! Lucky punch on that one Mr. Deer, I would like to see you try that again! That is three times...now four and five!!! etc...

Sounds alot like what happened to me on the last Antelope hunt I was on! What a joke!
Here is the story if you are interested...mine is the second story down:

http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=492

1 - 10 of 10 Posts