Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I am no expert in this area, but most people I have talked with had good experiences on the CWMU hunts. Some are worse than others, but overall I would say it is more opportunity, plus if you research ahead of time you know what you are getting with whatever CWMU you are putting in for.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
good point jahan. I don't understand anyone having many bad experiences. If I had one I would not put in again. And who has the luck to draw many times anyway?

·
Registered
629 Posts
bwhntr said:
I don't know about winning...but, yes I am sure there are some poorly managed units out there. I don't know EVERY CWMU operator out there but my gut feeling is this is the exception rather than the rule. If you have a bad experience don't hunt there again and put in a formal complaint. I am sure the program isn't perfect but a work in progress. Good luck on your hunts this year.
Good luck to you as well
I guess I need to research a few more of the CWMUs, but most of the ones I have researched and been on are crap! I shouldn't speak for all of them out there, because I'm sure there are some good ones. But there are also some that really need some improvement. I hope the program gets better and we can get to where everybody is happy with the program. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to make this program work, but it's all in the operators hands. Until they can respect the average hunter, it won't work.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Good luck to you as well
I guess I need to research a few more of the CWMUs, but most of the ones I have researched and been on are crap! I shouldn't speak for all of them out there, because I'm sure there are some good ones. But there are also some that really need some improvement. I hope the program gets better and we can get to where everybody is happy with the program. I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to make this program work, but it's all in the operators hands. Until they can respect the average hunter, it won't work.
Can't argue with that.

Good post!

·
Registered
658 Posts
HJB
Good luck to you as well
but most of the ones I have researched and been on are crap!
What do you mean they are crap? no animals/bad terrain/bad hunting dates...?
just wondering what you would consider as crap

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
but most of the ones I have researched and been on are crap!
What do you mean they are crap? no animals/bad terrain/bad hunting dates...?
just wondering what you would consider as crap
I understood him to meen the way the operators treated the ones with the public tag.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Being treated like crap = not being able to hunt areas that paying guys hunt, a madatory guide, guides that refuse to take a picture of your kill, making you tip a certain amount wether you kill something or not, not allowing any guests, not allowing your 5 days to be consecutive, and not letting you shoot a small buck the last day after you haven't seen anything the whole hunt.
That's what Crap means, and yes I have seen everything mentioned + more.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
HJB said:
Being treated like crap = not being able to hunt areas that paying guys hunt, a madatory guide, guides that refuse to take a picture of your kill, making you tip a certain amount wether you kill something or not, not allowing any guests, not allowing your 5 days to be consecutive, and not letting you shoot a small buck the last day after you haven't seen anything the whole hunt.
That's what Crap means, and yes I have seen everything mentioned + more.
I could see how that would be frustrating, but you can always call before hand and find out how the hunt will work and they will usually tell you all the details and that would help you make your decision. I for one have never put in for one and I may never put in for one. Also look at it from the other side, if you had enough property to have a CWMU why wouldn't you? Also they probably get tired of everyone thinking they should have unrestricted access to their property. It is really a win win for most everyone, especially the landowner.

·
Registered
629 Posts
jahan said:
I could see how that would be frustrating, but you can always call before hand and find out how the hunt will work and they will USUALLY tell you all the details and that would help you make your decision.
That's the problem! You guys think that the only ones that have problems are the ones that don't call and find out first. I'm here to tell you that it's BS! They will tell you all kinds of crap and when you actaully draw the tag, plans change.
Other times I have called and asked info about a CWMU and when I told them I was planning on drawing the public tag, he told me good luck and hung up on me. This is the "Crap" I'm talking about. There are plenty of guys that are guilty of not doing the homework before applying, but there are also tons of people that DO the homework and are screwed by the operators.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So it seems there are very polerized views on the CWMU hunts. I did some research and read the posts. The system was set up to benifit Land owners with "wild livestock" living on there lands. With the understanding that a small percentage of "average hunters" were also allowed to hunt theses private lands. So the problems appear to stem from mangement or mismanagement depending on your perspective.

One thing that I could not find was a imparshal list of reviews for all CWMU's from any standpoint. I think a website soley dedicated to the reviews on all the CWMU's from "pay to play hunters" as well as regular draw tag hunters. Would be invaluble to the avreage joe looking to put in for a CWMU hunt, The DWR, Big spenders looking for big racks, and the owners themselfs. IF there were a way to compare side by side the advatages/disadvantages and from the horses mouth reviews. It would make it eaiser for me to pick A CWMU to hunt. And im guessing make regulation and violation of said regulations eiaser to address. I wonder if the DWR would be willing to support such an effort?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
pkred said:
So it seems there are very polerized views on the CWMU hunts. I did some research and read the posts. The system was set up to benifit Land owners with "wild livestock" living on there lands. With the understanding that a small percentage of "average hunters" were also allowed to hunt theses private lands. So the problems appear to stem from mangement or mismanagement depending on your perspective.

One thing that I could not find was a imparshal list of reviews for all CWMU's from any standpoint. I think a website soley dedicated to the reviews on all the CWMU's from "pay to play hunters" as well as regular draw tag hunters. Would be invaluble to the avreage joe looking to put in for a CWMU hunt, The DWR, Big spenders looking for big racks, and the owners themselfs. IF there were a way to compare side by side the advatages/disadvantages and from the horses mouth reviews. It would make it eaiser for me to pick A CWMU to hunt. And im guessing make regulation and violation of said regulations eiaser to address. I wonder if the DWR would be willing to support such an effort?
People who have had what they consider a bad experience tend to be more vocal than those that have a good one. If you thought is was great why invite more competion?

If everyone that hunted was required to report on their experience you would likely get a mixed result as well. My expection of the experience may be different than some one else.

My experice with CWMU's consist of one particular CWMU. I hunted it several times for cow elk. No problems and was happy with the hunts. And after hunting the CWMU I would never put in for Any Bull tag for it using my points over a LE unit. For me there is no substitue for being able to hunt tag like that on my terms not the Operators.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sure. I think your right about using the CWMU for a cow tag, but LE does seem like the way to go for a draw bull hunt. On a side note i dont think you should be "required" to do anything except pay taxes and die. And the paying taxes is up for disscussion. :D

I still think that a feed back site would be a good thing for everyone envolved. I know if I buy something off the net i'll read the reviews.

·
Registered
580 Posts
saw some good points in the last couple of posts and concur that if your looking for a extra speicial once in a lifetime bull a cwmu probably would not be your best choice due to in large the restrictions that are implimented into each cwmu. saying that if a person is like
myself just going to burn his points so he can get into another species there are some very good options in the cwmu program just dont go into one thinking about the 350 class bulls as a scrub bull you would probably be very dissapointed even the deseret cwmu bulls AVERAGE around the 330 to 340 class know that s a pretty **** good bull but if your looking for the very top end you would be wise to stick with know L E units, as for as tracking the cwmu s there is a page on the fish and game site under big games just below the harvest and draw listings that will give you some good information to help in making your choice the one thing i would suggest is research research research talk to the owners and others who have hunted on them also check with the cwmu program mangagers to see what if any complaints have been filed on these units. go into it with your eyes open and realistic goals and you should have a good experiance but like i mentioned before if your looking for the really big bucks and bulls limited entry is the best way to go

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I hesitate to post this story because it didn't happen to me, but rather to my neighbor who told me about it. He hunted a CWMU down South one year. He went out the first day with a guide and the owner of the CWMU and didn't see squat worth shooting. The owner went home and the guide informed him that they'd be hunting a different area the next day, but not to tell the owner because he'd been instructed only to take paying customers to the big buck area. My neighbor killed a superb 5x5 and had to keep it all hush hush from the owner of the CWMU. The guide said he just didn't feel right about the owner instructing him to shaft the guys who'd drawn a tag instead of purchasing it for big dollars. This story is the reason I saved my points for years instead of cashing in on a CWMU tag.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
HJB said:
Basically the CWMU program is a way for Greedy rich land owners to sell hunting permits for 100 times more than they are worth, and screw over the public hunters that wait 5-10 years to draw a great tag.
Then:
HJB said:
Never compare a CWMU to a LE! They are nothing alike!
Didn't you just compare the two in your previous post?
HJB said:
I have had this argument way too many times, and yes I have complained way too much and nothing has changed. So I'm done with this thing. You win :roll:
And then make 4 more posts after you are saying you are done...who won?
bwhntr said:
Are you serious? HJB, you really don't have a clue about what you are talking about? Some people will never be happy unless they are complaining and I am sure your fit in that category. The facts mean nothing to you so there is not much point in having this discussion. However, 90+% of the state is NOT a CWMU. Enjoy!
Good points! Seems kind of greedy to me that a fellar can think that he is entitled to hunt someone's private land; on what conditions do you let perfect strangers use your home?
Seriously, every complaint I have heard only has to with things that the new policy has prohibited; I guess some people would complain about getting hung with a nice new rope...???

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Anyone have a snorkel?

Don't fret boys, once Obama has his way with wealth re-distribution then we won't have CWMUs, but everyone will have their own 1/2 acre cabin lot in the hills.

On a more serious note--- There is already a satisfaction index on the UDWR's website, for individual CWMUs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Huge29 said:
Seems kind of greedy to me that a fellar can think that he is entitled to hunt someone's private land; on what conditions do you let perfect strangers use your home?Seriously, every complaint I have heard only has to with things that the new policy has prohibited; I guess some people would complain about getting hung with a nice new rope...???
-On the conditions that the DWR offers you when you decide to sign up for a PUBLIC program.
The land owners CHOSE this route, they we not forced to do this. Many private land owners could care less about CWMUs and they enjoy the land with friends and family. The people that sign up for the CWMU program understand (Or should understand), that they are signing up for a program that allows the public on the land. If they don't like it they don't have to sign up.
- I can't believe how many people are feeling sorry for these "Poor" land owners. You act like they are just poor little guys trying to make a living on 15,000 arces, a lodge, a hummer, and a bunch of suckers that will pay $10,000 dollars to hunt a big stinky elk.
Wake up people! I can drive to 30 different CWMUs within an hour of my house. To get to some good public land, I have to drive 3 hours or hike 5 hours. And even then all I can do is prance around the pumpkin patch and dodge bullets. Most of these CWMUs were public land before and then they all the sudden TRANSFORMED into private land. It sucks!!! Everytime I go up to Causey I have to look at that stupid "Skull Crack" land and think about how many people used to be able to hunt those awesome canyons, and now 10 people get to hunt 25,000 acres per year, while the public guys hunt 100 acres and there's 50 people hunting with you. :roll:
It's getting ridiclulous, ask your grandpas.

·
Premium Member
11,688 Posts
We do agree on this part!
HJB said:
You greatly exaggerate how much public land is used in this program. I do not remember making any out to be a victim; I have never hunted one, no plans to and do not know of one anywhere near the area I hunt. It is simply a matter of property rights for me, to think that anyone is entitled to enter someone else's land is ridiculous. However, the idea that public land is placed into these CWMU's. I do have a problem with that, but please provide some data as to how much this happens and the quantity of acres used in this manner. I am a little surprised that you get so riled up over this; you have complained about every single aspect of the program and continue to use the program, have you not heard the "fool me once" adage? Unless your "spot" that you have always hunted that was public land was placed into the CWMU, my opinion is that you are literally making a mountain out of a mole hill.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts