Utah Wildlife Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Huge29 said:
Unless your "spot" that you have always hunted that was public land was placed into the CWMU, my opinion is that you are literally making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Not one of my "Spots" but several of my "Spots". As well as as about 20,000 acres that you now know as the "Skull Crack" CWMU, and also about 200 acres that is now included into the "Woodruff Creek" CWMU. On top of that, the National Forest I used to hunt has now turned into the "Bear Spring" CWMU. And some property that my family owned that also accessed National Forest is now the "Jacobs Creek" CWMU.
It sucks when the places that your family has hunted for generations, suddenly is taken away. Excuse me if I'm whining, but I'm still upset about it, and I'll probably never get over it. :cry:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Scull Crack CMWU consists of all private land. Jacob's Creek is also all private land. Woodruff Creek and Bear Spring both consist of a little over 1200 acres of public land which is about 10% of the CMWU.

If its private land, they have every right in the world to close the doors regardless of how long your family has hunted the land. It stinks, but I can understand it. I do have problem with the public land locked up in the other CMWU units. File a complaint if the land is huntable with public access. If it is not, then I think you're out of luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, it sucks and there's probably nothing that I can do about it. But what sucks worse is thinking about what land my son will have to hunt. If you ask your great grandpa how much land was available to hunt when he hunted, and then ask you grandpa and then ask your dad, and then evaluate your situation. It certainly doesn't look good for the future. You already have to be a rocket scientist to find public land that doesn't get a lot of pressure. Not looking good for my 18 month old son, and he still has to wait a long time before he can hunt.
I'm reffering to Northern Utah, so other areas may not apply. Public land in Northern Utah is slowing vanishing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
toasty said:
Scull Crack CMWU consists of all private land. Jacob's Creek is also all private land.
Yes, they do NOW. There was a time when all that was public land and everybody could hunt it. Ever heard of Mr. Walt Prothero??? He is a Northern Utah hunting legend and has tons of books about hunting. He almost exclusivley hunted what is now the Skull Crack CWMU. Sad to see such a gem, turn into a private hunting ranch for high rollers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
This may be a stupid question, so please forgive me if it is, but isn't wildlife property of the state and it's people? If so, then the state is basically giving away tags to these landowners so that they can sell a state resource for profit, in return for allowing a few public hunters to hunt the land. If I am right about this, then I call BS on the 90%/10% ratio.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
This may be a stupid question, so please forgive me if it is, but isn't wildlife property of the state and it's people? If so, then the state is basically giving away tags to these landowners so that they can sell a state resource for profit, in return for allowing a few public hunters to hunt the land. If I am right about this, then I call BS on the 90%/10% ratio.
Several reasons:
A few members of the public can hunt land that before a CWMU no one could hunt.
To earn some money to cover loss of feed to domestic animals eaten by wildlife.
To earn some money caused by damage to property by wildlife.

How valid may be debatable but these are some of the reasons. But the first word is "cooperative". :| :mrgreen:

·
Registered
629 Posts
bowgy said:
[But the first word is "cooperative". :| :mrgreen:
They own the land, we own the wildlife.The word Cooperative should mean more like 50/50 or at least 70/30, not 90/10.

I wish I had a helicopter so I could "Air Lift" all my animals back to public land. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
We used to hunt land adjacent to what is now Skull Crack. I didn't start hunting until the mid 80's but my dad was hunting the land from the late 60's. As long as my dad can remember, Skull Crack land has always been private. I know Mr. Protero hunted that area, my dad recalls seeing similar bucks claimed to be shot by him, but he must have had access to the land. Basin Land and Livestock was the lower portion of the property, Causey Estates was the upper. Hunting rights encompased the whole property. Those who owned cabins on the property were given permits. I am not sure, but think other were sold. It was about over 10 years ago that the hunting rights agreement expired. The lower portion, Basin land, was sold and they are now the CWMU operators. The hunting rights to the whole property was sold to them as well. That caused a huge stir with the cabin owners on the property, but there was nothing that could be done about it. Many people owned cabins just for the hunting rights.

I guess where I'm going is that this land has been private for at least 50 years. I would love to be able to hunt it too, but it will never become available unless you draw the tag or pay to play. I wouldn't waste my points on it.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts