Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to guess his breed or breeds, what would it be? I’m guessing he’s 5 months old. Not talking about the Rottweiler mutt in the pic. Just asking for fun, he has me stumped.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I'm guessing a Catahoula.
That was what I would guess as well. Maybe Catahoula and kinda looks to have some breed of a wirehair as well. Maybe someone was trying to "design" a decoy dog?? I've seen Catahoula, Mountain Cur cross for that purpose, and have been very good at what they were breed for.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
It has the docked tail, so, I'm betting the farm on a decoy dog breed. Like Kevin D mentioned....Leopard Cur. Catahoula and leopard cur are almost identical in the spotting.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking catahoula leopard dog mixed with a hound of some sort. When he wrestles with my rott, we will start to bay like no one’s business. I had no idea what a decoy dog was so I had to look that up but it makes sense for him. Learning has occurred!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dog Window Carnivore Car Motor vehicle

Dog Window Window blind Carnivore Dog breed

To me, looks like a shepherd/aussie dog. I wish I had better photos of my aussie coat and ears but your dogs stance and snout at attention reminds me of my shepherd but the coat and ears remind me of my aussie. The size of ears more shepherd like but the position more aussie like.

Then again, maybe it's because I'm biased?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
We have a catahoula x mountain cur. Her coat was similar at first but eventually became a little more muted.

She has the "cracked" eye which also helped give it away with their Merl gene.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts