Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the deal. In the last 3 weeks there have been two incidences that I wished I had a CCP permit and was carrying. The last one just a couple of days ago. Granted neither time would I have had to draw a weapon it's just that if either situation had escalated any further my wife and grandson could have been in danger. Due to this I am seriously considering getting my CCP and carrying.

I wanted to reach out to the collective wisdom of the group and see what seems to be the preferred caliber and type of handgun for CCP. My two thoughts are a .357 or a 9MM but I really want to get as much feedback from folks that actually carry to see what might be the best fit. I've shot both calibers along with a .40 and .45 so feel free to offer your practical advice.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I have a XD40 SubCompact and a LCP... the LCP is always with me as its just so darn easy to slip in a pocket. The XD40 tends to get left at home during the warm months when I cant take the chance of it printing. The newer LCP's have better sights than the original model but its kindof irrelevant as its a SHTF weapon for near point blank range anyway.

With new bullet tech, 380ACP is beating 9mm performance from a couple decades ago... but of course the same gains make the 9mm beat the performance of larger calibers from years ago etc etc.

Love the XD, but its harder to conceal.

-DallanC

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
You might have to gain some weight to pack it but....................

I actually pack a Ruger LCR in 357mag. I figure that if I can't take care of the problem with 5 rounds then I'll just have to put another 5 into the pistol.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck critter I weigh so much I could hide that in my navel. :shock:

Reactions: Critter

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I like the pocket guns. They are the ones that get carried and you never have the excuse of them being too bulky to carry. I have carried a Kel-tec p32 and a Kel-tec pt3 and a LCP and they are amazingly comfortable. I am now eyeing the North American arms minis and wasps just for their ultimate conceal ability. Any return fire or firearm is better than not carrying in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
There's a new 380ACP in a miniature 1911 design that looks pretty snazzy... I cant remember the MFG, saw it in a article that I cant find. Maybe Loke is familiar with it.

-DallanC

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've got a Glock 42 that I really enjoy. The new 43 they just released is the same gun fit for 9mm instead of 380ACP. Six shots, with the pinky extension mag, whole gun is about 6 inches long.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's a new 380ACP in a miniature 1911 design that looks pretty snazzy... I cant remember the MFG, saw it in a article that I cant find. Maybe Loke is familiar with it.

-DallanC
Sig P238? Kinda like a baby 1911. But it's been around for about 5 years. I had one for a few years and loved it. Now I have a Springfield XDS .45 acp and love it.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
if you like the 1911, i carry a springfield em .40, and i love it. however it is heavier/bulkier than others. if you want a 1911type in a .380 the sig sauer p238 is a pretty cool gun. i used to carry a shield as well and can definitely vouch for their great useability. before that carried a taurus tcp .380 (taurus's version of the ruger LCP), and it was quite nice but really only a point blank gun. bottom line, there are a ton of good and affordable options, just find one you are most comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
DallanC, it might be the Browning 1911-380. I'm waiting for Loke to call and tell me they're available.

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
Springfield XDs 45 for the last couple years. I carried a Glock19 for 20+ years and switched to the XDs45 and I love it. In the winter I pack a fullsize Kimber Nomad Custom 2.
My wife carries a Glock 40cal

·
Registered
638 Posts
Some people who know a lot more about this than me say to select the most powerful weapon that you can use effectively. Typically, that would not be the most powerful weapon available.

On the other hand, at least one (possibly more) study provided some evidence that .22 long rifle is about as effective as any handgun cartridge for defense. How could it be that a .22 long rifle might be more or less as effective as more powerful loads? I dunno, maybe because it is easier for many people to shoot straight when using a .22 than something like, say, a .44 magnum.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I carry a Kimber ProCarry .45. I don't mind the weight and like the slim profile. My wife carries a Kahr 9MM that she shoots scary good.------SS

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I am not sure if anyone has actually had a gun pointed at them, but the last thing on my mind was:" I wonder if the caliber of that gun is sufficient to kill me?"

The first thoughts on your mind are usually:

1. What have I done that would merit use of lethal force?
2. What can I do in order extinguish this threat?
3. How can I resolve this situation without dying?

Having something that goes bang in that moment would go a long way....

Even if its a .22 LR

·
Super Moderator
11,690 Posts
I have an XD in 9, but I have just found it too difficult to conceal and I would regularly forget to get it. So, I wanted something smaller, but all of the small stuff was just garbage triggers that had about 9" of pull....until I set me eyes on the Ruger LC9S. It has a stiker fire trigger, like the glocks and very nice and concealable. I got the little pocket pouch that slides off and stays in the pocket. Shoots pretty well for something that small. I like it a lot. I shoot mainly my own reloads and only put about 150 rounds through it so far w/o a single misfire so far.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I live in Ogden, and I have not carried in almost 20 years.

Shoot what you know and are comfortable with. If I was going to carry for self defense again, it would be an NAA mini in .22 mag, or a Ruger Bear cat also in mag. But I'm a revolver guy.

Reactions: Nambaster

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I am not sure if anyone has actually had a gun pointed at them, but the last thing on my mind was:" I wonder if the caliber of that gun is sufficient to kill me?"

The first thoughts on your mind are usually:

1. What have I done that would merit use of lethal force?
2. What can I do in order extinguish this threat?
3. How can I resolve this situation without dying?

Having something that goes bang in that moment would go a long way....

Even if its a .22 LR
I've been shot at, and had a few guns on me. Everything happens so fast you don't always have chance to draw, or its up close and personal, and yeah, .22 is way better than nothing.

I've chosen not to shoot back once, because of multiple circumstances.

Reactions: Nambaster
1 - 20 of 50 Posts