Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the sunrises, sunsets? Is it the beautiful plants? Is it the waterfowl? What do you love about the marsh?

My favorite thing to see is those little tweety birds that fly in flocks of thousands. They all move together and look like a black cloud. I have only seen this a couple of times at BRBR. I think I could just sit there all day long and watch them. By the way, does anyone know what kind of bird they are? A sparrow or swallow or what?

·
Registered
42 Posts
One morning at a place called Delevan marsh in mid-November, the wind was gusting up to 40 mph. On the dark walk out about an hour before sun rise, you could hear and see the shadows of birds everywhere. At first light there were ducks and geese thick as thick could be flying on the deck. It was every bit as good as the videos of Canada. There was an incoming storm but the sky was on fire from deep dark greys, and purples to reds and oranges...The noise from all the ducks and geese was just overwhelmingly loud and amazingly deafening.

On a slough next to a marsh in the grasslands of the San Joachin valley it was a slightly foggy morning, still, & no wind. There were teal balls of up to 100s of birds working up and down the slough through the valley oaks and over the water courseway. You could hear them coming--sounded like jet engines with high pitched whistles. There were waves of up to 50 mallards at a time working up & down the slough and marsh that day too. It was amazing...after 3 of us shot our limits we just sat and watched the birds for hours until lunch time.

My favorite part of a marsh is when it is full of birds...it's just amazing regardless of the weather conditions--it really makes the marsh alive.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I personally like the EARLY morning hours at Bear River....To hear the quacking of all of the random ducks throughout the marsh.....But most of all....to hear the swans going nuts.

Yeah, I b**ched about BRBR in another post, but I love that place. That is why I complained....cuz I'm watching it go down the toilet every year.....

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
It depends on where the marsh is..... if its a big public one here on the front.... I don't really like em.... too much city attached. If you get way out away from everything... on a marshy bend of the river, or just a marsh somewhere miles from anything.... I like the variety of creature life that they hold. Yotes, foxes, swans, geese, ducks, coots.... you can see nature the way it should be.... not micromanaged to death, burned over, trampled to make our existence evident.... its still full, vibrant, and as beautiful as the day it was created. Thats my favorite thing.... just seeing nature the way it was intended to be.... and then my gun goes BANG, and it shatters all of that. :?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking of a variety of wildlife in the marsh. The place where we hunt in Idaho has quite a few moose. The cool thing is that the rut is durring the duck hunt. This year we got to watch a small bull court a cow and her calf from last year. They were only about a hundred yards a way. It was quite a sight.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sure ain't the smell :wink: I love all of it. Paticuraly the part that I am there and not at work :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Beautiful sunrises or sunsets are always awesome. I can enjoy the sunrises more because I'm not busy picking up deeks. My biggest rush is usually when a dark front is coming in and the birds are moving ahead of it. Especially huge flocks of swans, white against the blackness of the clouds. Super picture.
By the way the big flocks of birds you are watching swarming and making all of the different patterns in the sky are starlings.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks bears butt. Also thanks for the vest for my dog. He has put on his winter coat and fat so it fits him great now. Again I appreiciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts