Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
i would say a tiger with weird markings. he has the orangeish fins white stripes on the fins which may have come from his brook trout parent, and the markings look like a screwed up maze found on tigers. my guess is a tiger.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
That was caught in Canada. I did a Google search a long time ago for tiger trout and, surprisingly, there really wasn't a lot of info out there about them other than a quick blurb here and there. I stumbled upon an article about a "mystery trout". The "experts" all agreed that it was indeed a hybrid, but of what?

Many claimed it to be a tiger trout, but there were no brook trout within the drainage system. Conclusions were drawn and ultimately the verdict was that it was a cross between a lake trout and an arctic char (both inhabitants of the lake where that fish was caught).

I'm glad to see that pic again. It's a great looking fish.

·
Registered
385 Posts
LOAH said:
Many claimed it to be a tiger trout, but there were no brook trout within the drainage system. Conclusions were drawn and ultimately the verdict was that it was a cross between a lake trout and an arctic char (both inhabitants of the lake where that fish was caught).
my first impression is that it looks like a cross between a tiger and splake (if either of them could reproduce). now as far as lakers and arctic char, it very possibly could be. after all both lake trout and brook trout are actually chars. chars are signified by having a dark background with light spots and trout have a light background and dark spots. from my understanding brook trout are a sub species of arctic char that can take warmer weather. in pictures they do look quite similar.

btw tigers come from browns and brookies and splake come from lakers and brookies. darn those brookies like to intermingle :lol:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOAH said:
That was caught in Canada. I did a Google search a long time ago for tiger trout and, surprisingly, there really wasn't a lot of info out there about them other than a quick blurb here and there. I stumbled upon an article about a "mystery trout". The "experts" all agreed that it was indeed a hybrid, but of what?

Very good. I see you read the same article. They believe it is an Artic Char/Laker hybrid but it still remains unknown. It was caught in Northeastern Saskatchewan(however you spell it).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Whatever it may be, it's an awesome looking fish.
Those markings are cool looking.
Makes me wish we had some of those babies here.

·
Registered
980 Posts
LOAH said:

That is actually what I thought to myself when I saw it, char and a laker. I doubt it is a regular tiger, the striations just look too idfferent. I could be completly wrong of course.

Here are some Pics of a few artic char. They do look a lot like brook trout.

The shape of that mystery trouts head is a lot like a char.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts