Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for an interactive map like google maps that will displace national forest boundaries and such so I can make sure im hunting in legal areas.

I normally hunt deer in Logan canyon but this year I have an archery elk tag and may try other areas such as Ogden that im not too familiar with. If you guys have links to maps that would help me ensure im on legal public land I would appreciate it, thanks

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
I've had good luck with these, have them for most all surrounding states. I get the newer versions when they come out.

When the OnXMaps app failed me in Wyoming last year, I broke out the Wyoming atlas I had with me and quickly found where we were, and where we could and could not hunt.

-DallanC

·
Registered
248 Posts
topo map from mytopo.com

you can customize your maps to however large/small an area you want to hunt, I preview them and look for springs you can't see on google maps

My waterproof/outdoor quality maps are 24" x 36" and are about 5mi x 3mi (15 square miles) although you can get a photo/topo combo and narrow the area down even more.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had a subscription for OnX last year and the two things that it does have going for it is that it's more granular than the online DWR apps map and you can download maps to view offline while still using GPS to show your location.

Doing some actual hunting with it I found that knowing every single strip and chunk of public land wasn't that useful, both because they're close to developed land that makes the public land less attractive to animals and because you never know if the private land is even posted. As for the cached maps, it constantly crashed on me and you couldn't save cached maps that would allow you to zoom to the level I wanted to zoom.

Finally, constantly looking at a map while you're hunting is a good way to miss things. It's better to plan where you're going with the dwrapps map and then follow that plan when you're on the ground.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Do not use google maps, it is very inaccurate as far as property and boundary lines go. For Utah I us http://mapserv.utah.gov/RasterIndices/Parcels.html . My brother has a really good app that he uses on his iPhone, I am not a smartphone guy so I am not sure what the name of the app is but they are out there for the taking if you search a little. But once again, I can tell you personally that google maps can be hundreds of yards off the actual forest service boundary line in some places.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a subscription for OnX last year and the two things that it does have going for it is that it's more granular than the online DWR apps map and you can download maps to view offline while still using GPS to show your location.

Doing some actual hunting with it I found that knowing every single strip and chunk of public land wasn't that useful, both because they're close to developed land that makes the public land less attractive to animals and because you never know if the private land is even posted. As for the cached maps, it constantly crashed on me and you couldn't save cached maps that would allow you to zoom to the level I wanted to zoom.

Finally, constantly looking at a map while you're hunting is a good way to miss things. It's better to plan where you're going with the dwrapps map and then follow that plan when you're on the ground.
So you can hunt private land if its not posted?

·
Registered
854 Posts

So you can hunt private land if its not posted?
No, in utah it is the hunters responsibility to know if it is private land or not.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
No, in utah it is the hunters responsibility to know if it is private land or not.
Yes and no. You can hunt private land under certain circumstances: it's not posted, it is not cultivated. Here again, read the guide books, they are your best source of reliable information. Look at it this way, everybody on here is a hack, don't believe a word we say:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts