Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after this years hunting season, both me and my father both realized it is time to get new radios. Ours currently are just too hit and miss in being able to understand each other. It's either I can hear him but he can't understand me, or the other way around. I am wondering what radios everyone is using as we look for new ones that good range. We want to talk from different canyons and such... Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
My boy lost one of our pair... so i'm in the market for some as well. I look forward to any recommendations. If they werent so expensive I'd get some Rino 650's.

-DallanC

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that they are expensive, but it has gotten to the point that we are almost willing to pay more to ensure good communications.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was in Cabelas last week and they had the ad that runs from Oct 8-18 and the Rino 650 will be on sale for $329. I think they run this sale every October. I can remember this going on for the last couple years at least.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We use Midland; don't have the range of the Rino, but they've worked well for years. I think I paid 130 at Cabela's for mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sportsmans had the Rino 650 on sale from $499 down to $349 from September 20-27th. I came this close to jumping on that.

I purchased a Cobra branded set about 9 years ago. While it's rated at 11 miles (I think), it's good for about 1/2 to 3/4ths a mile in steep canyon country. I wouldn't purchase the Cobra brand again. I had one handset (and it's rechargeable battery) completely crap out for no reason after a couple of years. The radios have been well cared for, never abused and only used every 2 or 3 years. So it was probably only the third time that radio had ever seen use. Perhaps it's an unfortunate fluke, but Cobra won't get my money again.

Midland or Motorola have pretty good reps.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I had one handset (and it's rechargeable battery) completely crap out for no reason after a couple of years. The radios have been well cared for, never abused and only used every 2 or 3 years. So it was probably only the third time that radio had ever seen use.
To save money on manufacturing costs, alot of electonics are "glued" together now... or taped. Over time this glue can separate causing failures. Some modern game consoles are like this and people literally put them in ovens or use heat-guns to soften the glue and "restick" components.

But good to know about avoiding cobra.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Stumbled across these... they get VERY good reviews almost everywhere. People recommend replacing the default antenna with a better dual band one. For the money, the performance seems pretty crazy and you can program it to pick up a wide range of frequencies from FM radio, police / EMS frequences, to GMR / FRS.

Radio: $29
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-B...c&utm_content=all&utm_campaign=electronics-US

Antenna, $4:
http://www.banggood.com/NA-519-SMA-...adio-Antenna-for-Walkie-Talkies-p-912894.html

Really tempted to buy and try a pair.

-DallanC

·
Registered
366 Posts
I actually used some of those boafengs this season and they did great...about 100 times better than my crappy (but expensive) Motorala Talkabouts.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Do you know what frequency they were programmed to?

The more I read up on these the more I see they are very powerful and mostly illegal without a license. But people seem to program them for MURS / GMRS channels and get away without the license. Then they use them out in BFE for hunting and the like where the FCC doubtfully will be monitoring.

They seem to be 5watt output vs .5 watt for cheapie Motorolas, so for hunting you can get signals down into canyons or heavily wooded areas.

-DallanC

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Rhinos are one of the best things you can purchase IMO. Battery lasts for days and they have incredible range, as well as you can see where your buddies are at on the map as far as the radio goes. I've picked up guys over by AF canyon while up on Strawberry Ridge. And having the weather and GPS if you need it its just a bonus.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Oh yea, Rino's are the bomb... but they are close to $500. Just not an option for our family to get one per person.

These Baofeng's are $29, programmable for an amazing range of frequences. Think I'm going to bite the bullet and order some...

-DallanC

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought a Rino 650 this year and have used it a ton. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I picked it up on sale for $349 and it is worth every penny. I plan on getting another one next year for my daughter. Being able to look at the map and see exactly where the other person is, is awesome! The radio has worked very well and I have been impressed with the range on it. You can download all sorts of maps to it, and when combined with the Basecamp program (free), there are all sorts of things you can do with it! I totally recommend the Rino!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I started using the Beofangs this year and all I can say for 30 bucks for a ]air you can't go wrong. I've used them while camping and pilling wire at work. They are clearer than most two way radios and I like the idea of being able to program the frequencies if I want.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Do you know what frequency they were programmed to?

The more I read up on these the more I see they are very powerful and mostly illegal without a license. But people seem to program them for MURS / GMRS channels and get away without the license. Then they use them out in BFE for hunting and the like where the FCC doubtfully will be monitoring.

They seem to be 5watt output vs .5 watt for cheapie Motorolas, so for hunting you can get signals down into canyons or heavily wooded areas.

-DallanC
I'm not positive what the frequency was.
I do know that a lot of the frequencies you can program with these are illegal, but there are some legal ones, and the person setting these up is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to legal vs illegal frequencies and the ones we were using were legal.

As for the quality of these, the person that owns these has been using these about 40 hours a month for just under a year and hasn't had any issues with them.

I'll be getting a couple of these for myself. I'll probably get a couple extra batteries too just to have on hand.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Oh there are frequencys (FRS, GMRS, MURS etc) that are completely legal, its just the Beofangs put out 10x the max power for those channels (max on FRS is half a watt for example, but the Beofang puts out 5watts). I need to see if you can turn down the wattage for normal, non emergency use.

Of course if its SHTF scenario, being able to broadcast on HAM channels is pretty cool too.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Bit the bullet, ordered 3x radios and misc accessories. Will let people know how they are when we get them all setup. All the reviews are pretty impressive so I'm confident they will be nice radios.

-DallanC

1 - 20 of 31 Posts