Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I am looking to upgrade my current shotgun from an 870 wingmaster to a semi-auto capable of shooting 3 1/2 inch shells. I am currently looking at the Remington Versa Max line, mostly because I am a big Remington fan, but I am willing to look at other shotguns. My buddy shoots a SX3 and loves it. So my question is what Semi-auto shotgun do you shoot and what do you love about it and what do you hate about it. Thanks

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Love my SBE-II. It eats anything I feed it and duck loads are easy kickers. Never has a problem with it either.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The new beretta a400, picked one up this spring for a snow goose hunt in Nebraska, I love the gun, no recoil and ejects the shells so clean and fast. You will shoot your whole magazine empty before anyone else.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any modern semi-auto shotgun made by Remington, Browning, Winchester, Stoeger, Benelli, Franchi or Beretta. Find one that fits and feels good to you and get it. I shoot a SX3 it's not the most expensive or fancy gun on the market, but it fits me. My next autoloader will be the Franchi Affinity in 20 ga.

BTW, 3 1/2" is expensive, overrated and not needed to kill ducks and geese.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
The new beretta a400, picked one up this spring for a snow goose hunt in Nebraska, I love the gun, no recoil and ejects the shells so clean and fast. You will shoot your whole magazine empty before anyone else.
finest gun made right now. and plus one to what fowlmouth said, no need for 3 1/2 shells. 3 inch number 2's kill everything that flies. geese, swans, pterodactyl etc.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm aware that 3 1/2's aren't needed but I would like to have that option for pass shooting geese and maybe a swan in a few years. I am really leaning towards the Remington Versa Max Sportsman in camo. I would go with the versa max waterfowl pro but I'm on a budget and I'm probably going to have to save up for a year or two for this purchase anyways. I appreciate all of your input on this I'll let you know what I decide to get down the road. Thanks

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
I have a Versa Max.

The shell carrier/lifter is forked like some of the Benellis. It's a finger-biter and my glove gets stuck in it when loading. I think they make replacement carriers that aren't forked but buying parts to make a new shotgun right is lame.

My pricey Versa Max shoots low and behind the birds just as well as my cheapo semi-auto shotguns do.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any modern semi-auto shotgun made by Remington, Browning, Winchester, Stoeger, Benelli, Franchi or Beretta. Find one that fits and feels good to you and get it. I shoot a SX3 it's not the most expensive or fancy gun on the market, but it fits me. My next autoloader will be the Franchi Affinity in 20 ga.

BTW, 3 1/2" is expensive, overrated and not needed to kill ducks and geese.
Just bought me a Franchi Affinity in 20 ga! Awesome Dove/Upland gun!!

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Just bought me a Franchi Affinity in 20 ga! Awesome Dove/Upland gun!!
Did you get wood or synthetic? Don't you just love the feel of that gun?
If you hunt ducks give that gun a try, I think you will like it. fish-n-fool shoots one for waterfowl, and let me tell you what that guy flat out pounds birds.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Did you get wood or synthetic? Don't you just love the feel of that gun?
If you hunt ducks give that gun a try, I think you will like it. fish-n-fool shoots one for waterfowl, and let me tell you what that guy flat out pounds birds.
I got a great deal on a synthetic. I was looking at a Weatherby but glad I went with the Franchi. I have not hunted ducks before but was thinking of trying it at least once this year. I have a remington 870 as well but this gun is so much more fun to shoot so I am sure I will reach for it if I make it out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm actually in the market as well. I'm planning on getting a Benelli Super Vinci. I've shot my brothers SBE II and that thing is sweet. After shouldering both in the store I'm sold on the Super Vinci for me, but that's just me. They are pricey but they have a good reputation for a reason. I currently shoot a Benelli Super Nova Pump and it's been incredibly reliable. Last year I had some mishaps with the dog and ended up dumping my gun in the swamp, completely submerged, twice in one morning... I dumped the water out of the barrel and kept on shooting for a couple of hours without a hitch. Of course I took it apart and cleaned it well when I got home but I was impressed that after a dunking in some nasty dirty water it kept on chugging like nothing happened.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This^^^^^ had mine since 2013 with zero problems until Saturday and a small part broke on my forearm I called Beretta and a new one is on the way no questions asked. Make sure you register your warranty it's well worth it.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Jimminey Christmas I can't believe the prices of these new shotguns...holy crap $1,600 !!! I screamed and yelled when I bought a used 1100 Magnum for $325 in near mint condition. That gun knocked them dead left and right on opening morning pass shooting. Every bird hit with that gun was dead when it hit the water or hit the dirt.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
What are you planning to do with your Wingmaster?

Reactions: LostLouisianian

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jimminey Christmas I can't believe the prices of these new shotguns...holy crap $1,600 !!! I screamed and yelled when I bought a used 1100 Magnum for $325 in near mint condition. That gun knocked them dead left and right on opening morning pass shooting. Every bird hit with that gun was dead when it hit the water or hit the dirt.
Thank the government for the horrible exchange rates makes European made products more expensive

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Beretta extrema 2 no question. I have friends with all makes and my gun out performs all of them.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I got spoiled on the dove hunt with my old Savage 16 semi auto maybe santa would bring me a new 12 gauge in a semi auto:mrgreen: I can hear her now "you already have 2 shotguns what do you need another one for?"

1 - 20 of 52 Posts