Utah Wildlife Forum banner

What Semi-Auto Shotgun

6K views 51 replies 24 participants last post by  Karl 
#1 ·
Hi everybody I am looking to upgrade my current shotgun from an 870 wingmaster to a semi-auto capable of shooting 3 1/2 inch shells. I am currently looking at the Remington Versa Max line, mostly because I am a big Remington fan, but I am willing to look at other shotguns. My buddy shoots a SX3 and loves it. So my question is what Semi-auto shotgun do you shoot and what do you love about it and what do you hate about it. Thanks

#4 ·
I wouldn't hesitate to buy any modern semi-auto shotgun made by Remington, Browning, Winchester, Stoeger, Benelli, Franchi or Beretta. Find one that fits and feels good to you and get it. I shoot a SX3 it's not the most expensive or fancy gun on the market, but it fits me. My next autoloader will be the Franchi Affinity in 20 ga.

BTW, 3 1/2" is expensive, overrated and not needed to kill ducks and geese.

#8 ·
I'm aware that 3 1/2's aren't needed but I would like to have that option for pass shooting geese and maybe a swan in a few years. I am really leaning towards the Remington Versa Max Sportsman in camo. I would go with the versa max waterfowl pro but I'm on a budget and I'm probably going to have to save up for a year or two for this purchase anyways. I appreciate all of your input on this I'll let you know what I decide to get down the road. Thanks

#9 ·
I have a Versa Max.

The shell carrier/lifter is forked like some of the Benellis. It's a finger-biter and my glove gets stuck in it when loading. I think they make replacement carriers that aren't forked but buying parts to make a new shotgun right is lame.

My pricey Versa Max shoots low and behind the birds just as well as my cheapo semi-auto shotguns do.

#37 ·
I have a Versa Max.

The shell carrier/lifter is forked like some of the Benellis. It's a finger-biter and my glove gets stuck in it when loading. I think they make replacement carriers that aren't forked but buying parts to make a new shotgun right is lame.

My pricey Versa Max shoots low and behind the birds just as well as my cheapo semi-auto shotguns do.

So I have been doing some research about the Versa Max and they fixed the carrier on their Waterfowl Pro edition. They took a bunch of things from the Tactical edition and added them on to the Waterfowl Pro Edition, including a larger bolt handle, larger safety, larger bolt release button, they enlarged the bottom for ease in loading and put a flat fronted carrier on it. They basically made the gun much easier to operate with gloves on. They also include an extra couple chokes and a carry sling. And it comes in Shadowgrass blades camo, instead of the mossy oak duck blind.

#13 ·
I'm actually in the market as well. I'm planning on getting a Benelli Super Vinci. I've shot my brothers SBE II and that thing is sweet. After shouldering both in the store I'm sold on the Super Vinci for me, but that's just me. They are pricey but they have a good reputation for a reason. I currently shoot a Benelli Super Nova Pump and it's been incredibly reliable. Last year I had some mishaps with the dog and ended up dumping my gun in the swamp, completely submerged, twice in one morning... I dumped the water out of the barrel and kept on shooting for a couple of hours without a hitch. Of course I took it apart and cleaned it well when I got home but I was impressed that after a dunking in some nasty dirty water it kept on chugging like nothing happened.

#15 ·
Jimminey Christmas I can't believe the prices of these new shotguns...holy crap $1,600 !!! I screamed and yelled when I bought a used 1100 Magnum for $325 in near mint condition. That gun knocked them dead left and right on opening morning pass shooting. Every bird hit with that gun was dead when it hit the water or hit the dirt.

#20 ·
I got spoiled on the dove hunt with my old Savage 16 semi auto maybe santa would bring me a new 12 gauge in a semi auto:mrgreen: I can hear her now "you already have 2 shotguns what do you need another one for?"

#22 ·
What? No love for Browning? I can't even pronounce half of those other guns. Why sound like a goofball when you have to say the name of your gun. Browning! Local! A5 Maxima silver or gold. Then if you break a part (which you won't) or lose on you won't need an interrupter or wait 16 weeks to get it fixed.

I'm proud as can be about my hometown firearm heritage and until they produce an inferior product it will be no question what I shoot.

Geez don't tell me you shoot a PSE or Mathews and gold tip arrows. [emoji6]

#27 ·
I bought an 11-87 Special Purpose in the late '80's and had good luck with it. I bought another one a few years ago because they are comparatively less expensive and did not have good luck. It is not reliable and a part broke that should not rendering it a single shot until I was able to acquire the replacement part. I replaced the 11-87 with a Browning Maxus and really like it. Reliable, light recoil and, for me, it shoots well.

#30 ·
I know you're wanting a 3 1/2" BUT, you just cannot in any way shape or form beat an older 1100 in 3" magnum, especially for a Remington guy...I know because I've bought 3 used ones in the last 5 years and am not about to part with any of them even for double or triple what I paid for them. Never a jam, misfire or problem. My 16 gauge 1100 is 48 years old and I have never had a single problem with it. I just recently got an adapter to reload 16 gauge shells and will be loading some up for next duck season with the heavier shot types. The only thing is that it's hard to find a 3" barrel for 1100's with screw in chokes. They're out there but the only reseller that had a few left in stock is out and I don't think Remington makes them anymore.

#34 · (Edited)
Sx3 if on a budget. If not maxus or new A5. I have all three and love them all
Don't put any stock in the 3.5 shells. My A5 is a 3" gun and has kill plenty of passing geese and two swans. The load out there for 3" make the 3.5" not necessary. And the gun and shells will both be cheaper

#35 ·
I know this is off topic, but maybe it would help you out and save you some money in the long run.

I have a Benelli M2 and have loved it ever since I first picked it up. This past summer I did a pattern test to figure out what choke/shell combo worked best out of it. I tried all the expensive shells and the best combo for my gun is the factory IC and Estate 3" 1-1/4 #2's. I took this combo to Saskatchewan last week and was amazed at the difference of clean kills; granted the majority of geese were in the decoys, but some others in the hunting party were shooting 3-1/2" high end shells and I was not impressed.

My advice for a semi-auto would be to purchase a 3" gun and spend the additional money you would have spent on a 3-1/2" gun on quality hunting gear or a fun trip!

#36 ·
I know this is off topic, but maybe it would help you out and save you some money in the long run.

I have a Benelli M2 and have loved it ever since I first picked it up. This past summer I did a pattern test to figure out what choke/shell combo worked best out of it. I tried all the expensive shells and the best combo for my gun is the factory IC and Estate 3" 1-1/4 #2's. I took this combo to Saskatchewan last week and was amazed at the difference of clean kills; granted the majority of geese were in the decoys, but some others in the hunting party were shooting 3-1/2" high end shells and I was not impressed.

My advice for a semi-auto would be to purchase a 3" gun and spend the additional money you would have spent on a 3-1/2" gun on quality hunting gear or a fun trip!
I had a 3 1/2" because I was just positive I needed it. After two years, expensive shells, several loosened fillings and getting the snot kicked out of me I sold it. I now use 2 3/4" or 3" and cannot tell the difference in anything except my fillings aren't loose and I am not getting the snot kicked out of me every time I shoot it...oh yeah and the shells are way cheaper, especially the 2 3/4". Mine seems to really like the Federal 3" #3 shot. Shot lights out with it opening day

Reactions: CPAjeff
#41 ·
My 1100 has been relatively problem free. Its 36 years old now... cant imagine how many thousands of shells through it. Keep it clean and oiled and it runs great.

-DallanC
Shhhhh I am trying to buy another one cheap...LOL. My oldest one is now 48 years old and still preforms like the day it was purchased. It's taken everything from wood**** and doves all the way up to whitetails. Mostly ducks and squirrels though and one raccoon...mmmm good. Of course I could never sell it since it's one my grandpa bought for me as a kid. It's going to go to one of my grandsons when it's my time for the dirt nap.

#42 ·
Mine is a lefty, and i broke the extractor 30 years ago, the only local shop that had an extractor had one for a right hand shotgun. I bought it anyway as it looked like it would fit and opening morning of somehting was the next day. That extractor is still in the gun, its cut for right handed actions which means it digs into shells when it cycles, and if the brass is soft it can snag and cause a jam. Thats the only issue I run into... its just total lazyness I havent bought a proper left handed extractor. Maybe I will pick one up.

-DallanC

#43 ·
Mine is a lefty, and i broke the extractor 30 years ago, the only local shop that had an extractor had one for a right hand shotgun. I bought it anyway as it looked like it would fit and opening morning of somehting was the next day. That extractor is still in the gun, its cut for right handed actions which means it digs into shells when it cycles, and if the brass is soft it can snag and cause a jam. Thats the only issue I run into... its just total lazyness I havent bought a proper left handed extractor. Maybe I will pick one up.

-DallanC
You're welcome... :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...emington-870-12-gauge-1100-12-gauge-left-hand

#44 ·
So I thought I would post on here and let everybody know what gun I decided to go with. I just placed an order for a Wicked Wings Browning Maxus. It won't be available until April, because it is a new model for 2017. For those of you who haven't heard of the Wicked Wings Models yet I have attached some screen shots from the Browning Firearms catalog.

Attachments

#46 ·
So I thought I would post on here and let everybody know what gun I decided to go with. I just placed an order for a Wicked Wings Browning Maxus. It won't be available until April, because it is a new model for 2017. For those of you who haven't heard of the Wicked Wings Models yet I have attached some screen shots from the Browning Firearms catalog.[/QUOT

Hhmmm wisely you have chosen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.