Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new longtail and was wondering what size tank to use. I know more gas is better, but honestly. Does anyone use more than three gallons on a hunt?

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Most guys use at least a 6 gallon tank, but a 3 gallon tank would be fine depending on motor size.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I run a 20hp mud buddy longtail and had this same question earlier when I was setting up my boat. I went with a 3 gallon and ran my boat for just under 2 hours saturday total drive time with 2 guys a dog and a few decoys and used .71 gallons of gas acording to the pump after I was done. So 3 gallons was more than plenty for me also I found using non-ethanol fuel will last you much longer and you run better in the small motors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know how much fuel is being used to push these motors . I plan on running premium. As far as I know ethanol isn't added to premium, but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I run ethanol free in my 23 (just about everything actually). I bought a Backwater SWOMP last year and called and asked about fuel consumption. At wide open, my 23 will burn through something like 2.3 gallons per hour. I don't run my boat anywhere wide open for an hour. But with that said, I still went with a 6 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I run a 6 gallon on an 18HP surfacedrive. I'v never run out. It goes FOR EVER!
I'v taken it out on 3 or 4 trips in a row and it still has at least 1/2 tank left.

Drove from Provo boat harbor into Mud Lake shooting carp 2 separate times without filling up. I figured I drove somewhere between 8-10 miles each trip and I still had plenty of gas.

If I use my boat every weekend, which I pretty much do. I can easily go an entire month without filling up. I always check my usage though.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thinking about it now, I may switch to a 3 gallon tank. I think I would still run forever and I can can make my boat 24lbs lighter, or convert that 24lbs of gas into extra gear.

HHmmmmm...

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Thinking about it now, I may switch to a 3 gallon tank. I think I would still run forever and I can can make my boat 24lbs lighter, or convert that 24lbs of gas into extra gear.

HHmmmmm...
Or just never fill your tank more than half way up :grin:

Reactions: goosefreak

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I was thinking goose freak. But I might go with the 6 gallon and only fill it half when the weight counts.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
HEY! you know what? I'v had a long day. I'v mentally exerted myself all day, take it easy on me. I'm fragile
You should have taken the day off and gone hunting! I know about those mental exertion days....way more exhausting than a physical exertion day. Sorry bubba.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Copper, how do you like your 23? That's what I just picked up. It'll be on a 1648 MV riveted.
I love it. Mine is on a 15x42 jon boat. I'm not real big into tracking speeds but when I first got it, empty with me and my buddy I was pushing like 22.8 mph. The cativation plate makes it handle like a dream. Maintenance is super easy and Jake from Backwater always answered my phone calls and questions. With that being said, this is my first boat, but I don't have any complaints.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts