Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's really early but I can't help but be excited for next years elk hunt even though this years isn't over quite yet. Wondering if anybody has any experience on the south slope yellowstone unit or the north slope. I haven't heard much about either of those units except the fact that they are big. Anybody hunted these units or know what the elk numbers are like?

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
With as big of winter as they are expecting, I dont plan to put in for anything until the last possible moment, just to gauge how bad winterkills will be, how permit #'s might be affected.

-DallanC

·
Registered
249 Posts
With as big of winter as they are expecting, I dont plan to put in for anything until the last possible moment, just to gauge how bad winterkills will be, how permit #'s might be affected.

-DallanC
Really curious about weather too ... not even for next year yet, but for January cow elk hunt. We'll see if we can get where we want to go without snowmobiles ... :shock:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
The S Slope elk herd is a bit different than most elk herds in utah, very elusive!
I spent quite a bit of time in the Uintas last year with my moose tag and 2011 youth elk hunting. Somewere around 35 days and only saw a hand full of elk. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts