Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking over what my options may be for limited entry elk for quite sometime.

I currently have 11 points and have been strictly an archery hunter. I know what units I " should draw". However I have a few questions.

1. Most of the units that I can draw and have knowledge of the unit I will be going in with several extra points. Is it worth losing using them.

2. In the next few years will the archery hunt run any later? I believe this year is about as late as we will get.

3. I am open to looking at muzzy and late rifle tags as I have already shot a nice bull with bow just over 300. Is this a good option.

Scouting will not be a issue and I could a lot 2-3 weeks for the hunt. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Dutton...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dutton...
I have spent quite a bit of time on the dutton the past few years. I think there are bigger bulls but much tougher to hunt. I'm young and in great shape however it may not be the best unit to share the hunt with some family members that I would like to have there. Dutton has been at the top of the list. My expectation for class of bulls is Lower on the other units I have mentioned.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Here is my opinion,

I'd never waist my 5 elk points on the Wasatch the way it is right now.--NO WAY.

The Manti, even Dutton, 11 points is overkill...Then waiting 5 years? I don't know.
Dutton is the only tag I'd even consider archery with that many points.
Heck, You could do a dual application with someone who has zero points and
probably draw the Wasatch archery tag (s)......And have two!

OR

11 points should get you a late anyweapon permit in the Book cliffs.
Late rifle on the Manti,
Late rifle on Nebo, ( Here is the permit I'd take..;-)..)

OR again,
11 points gets you a Muzzy tag on Manti, Nebo, Fish lake, or Wasatch.
Even a 1 in 2 chance at a Dutton ML tag, Another permit I'd take smiling!

LOTS of choices, chose well..........Good luck.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I wouldn't burn 11 points on an archery tag on any of those units. Not even the Dutton. Like Goof said, you could put in as a group with someone else and draw two tags on most of those.

If I had 11 points and wanted to archery hunt, I'd put in for Pahvant and hope to get lucky. Otherwise you're 2-4 years from guaranteed on that tag if things stay static there. I would way rather wait an extra two years and have a shot on a unit like that than burn those points on the units you mentioned...for archery.

I understand late hunts can be hit and miss. I have a friend who has hunted the Dutton late and he had a good experience, even though the temps were in the low 70's for them still that year.

I would look at muzzy hunts in that point range if it were me. I have spent time on the Manti and Wasatch the last few years in September, and I would probably take the Manti at this point over the Wasatch, but I would also be confident in my ability to kill a 320-330 bull on the Wasatch, maybe even better. You're within a couple years on the Dutton muzzy as well. Some big bulls being killed off the Dutton the last few years.

You have options. Which is a good thing. Decide what your standards are in the type of bull you hope to shoot, then determine what units can realistically produce that kind of bull, and then determine what weapon you can draw a tag for...and go hunt!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
For archery, I'd agree that 11 points is overkill for any of the units you've mentioned. Not only are you a couple years out to guarantee a Pahvant tag, but Beaver and Boulder also need to be thrown into that same discussion as both are also just a couple years away.

The late Dutton and SW Desert are just a year or two away. The late Book Cliffs makes my ears perk up and you should be ever so close with that one...

Muzzleloader I'd look Book Cliffs, Panguitch, Dutton, Manti all within the next two years or sooner.

If I was an archery guy, I'd like my shot at any I've listed for archery more than I think I might like my late or muzzleloader options.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I have strongly considered putting in for 2 tags with my uncle. He only has 3 points and we could get 2 tags on any of the units I mentioned.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I have strongly considered putting in for 2 tags with my uncle. He only has 3 points and we could get 2 tags on any of the units I mentioned.

The Wasatch is hard and getting harder, but it's not all doom and gloom. We killed 6 bulls last year over 340" two of those cracked 360"

We weren't able to harvest our top two bulls either.

If you have time, and that's the key factor, then it will be rewarding

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
Opening morning of the ML deer hunt this year, me and my boy sitting on a running atv had 100-120 elk cross the trail in front of us at 60 yards. There were 5 good bulls and 2 GREAT bulls, one of them was later killed and went 384. Biggest live elk I've ever seen... it was really cool. Sadly I couldnt get my camera out in time for a picture, told my boy to get a good look and burn that image to memory, it was a chance of a lifetime. For the past 4 years in nearly the same spot, opening day of ML deer season I've had elk within 100 yards. Really neat. Maybe fewer elk in some spots, in our area they are increasing dramatically in numbers.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'll echo what many of the others have said. Using 11 points on any archery hunt unless it's a premium unit is overkill. But having said that, do the hunt that you want, when you want to do it.

If it were me, if you decide not to do archery, i'd go muzzy over late rifle. Something about the rut...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would consider the La Sal, La Sal unit for early rifle if i were you. I got lucky and drew that tag with 6 points. I went scouting every chance i got from early July, all the way up to the hunt. I was able to get a good 373 bull opening morning. It was a really fun hunt and lots of elk in the unit to find..

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

Here's the thing. Utahs archery hunt dates will NEVER be better than this year.

Combine your uncles 3 points with your 11 =14....7 points each dual draw.

More doors have opened! This would get both of you tags LE archery for,
Bookcliffs, Bitter creek-----------AWESOME hunt. OR
Manti-------------------I Would take this over Wasatch hands down!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Agree and echo what has been said, don't blow them on the archery unless it is an upper tier unit or you are going to combine with your uncle. If you don't end up doing that, I would really look at Muzzy hunts in the units you listed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts