Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck! I'm having a hard time finding something good to read. Often times I find myself just making a wild stab and grabbing a book off the [Amazon] shelf and I start reading. Sometimes this works out well, and sometimes it doesn't. I really want to read something GOOD! Help a brother out....

Here are some books and authors that I like (in no particular order):

The River Why, The Brother's K, River Teeth, My Story As Told By Water (David James Duncan)
A Man Called Ove (Fredrik Backman)
Hitman Anders, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, The 100 Year Old Man... (Jonas Jonasson)
Killing Crazy Horse (Bill O'Reilly)
The Son (Philipp Meyer)
A Thousand Splendid Suns, And the Mountains Echoed, Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
Mary and O'Neil, The Summer Guest, The Passage, The Twelve, The City of Mirrors (Justin Cronin)
The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Children of Hurin, and everything else Tolkien
The Monkey Wrench Gang, Hayduke Lives, Desert Solitaire (Edward Abbey)
The Border Trilogy, The Road (Cormac McCarthy)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (Stieg Larsson)

Any suggestions?

Reactions: AF CYN

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Try novels by Larry Watson...I've liked some of his work. Pat Conroy is pretty good too--The Great Santini, My Losing Season, Lords of Discipline. I also liked The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

I really want to try Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang too. It looks really good to me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm stuck! I'm having a hard time finding something good to read. Often times I find myself just making a wild stab and grabbing a book off the [Amazon] shelf and I start reading. Sometimes this works out well, and sometimes it doesn't. I really want to read something GOOD! Help a brother out....

Here are some books and authors that I like (in no particular order):

The River Why, The Brother's K, River Teeth, My Story As Told By Water (David James Duncan)
A Man Called Ove (Fredrik Backman)
Hitman Anders, The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, The 100 Year Old Man... (Jonas Jonasson)
Killing Crazy Horse (Bill O'Reilly)
The Son (Philipp Meyer)
A Thousand Splendid Suns, And the Mountains Echoed, Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
Mary and O'Neil, The Summer Guest, The Passage, The Twelve, The City of Mirrors (Justin Cronin)
The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Children of Hurin, and everything else Tolkien
The Monkey Wrench Gang, Hayduke Lives, Desert Solitaire (Edward Abbey)
The Border Trilogy, The Road (Cormac McCarthy)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (Stieg Larsson)

Any suggestions?
I read The Adventurers series with my kids that was pretty fun. The last two weren't quite as good as the first 3.

Have you read "Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart? I thought that was very unique. He's got a few other single novel series.

One I really enjoyed but was a little depressing was "Ghost Mountain Boys." Crazy story of holding off Japanese in New Guinea to stop them from taking Australia.

"Slave Stealers" by Tim Ballard was also very good.

"A Distant Prayer" was really crazy. Story about a Utah fighter pilot shot down over WWII Germany.

"Surround yourself with Greatness" by Chad Lewis. Loved that book.

I have a bunch of church books as well....not sure if you're into those or not, but I've got a good list of those. I listen to a LOT of books because of the distance to drive out here is big. 100 miles to Sam's Club.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
caddis -- thanks for mentioning the WWII books. I didn't include any of those on my original list, but I loved A Helmet For My Pillow, With the Old Breed, Okinawa, as well as Unbroken.

heck, might was well throw in Alaska and Journey.

Keep them coming.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I'm more of a nonfiction guy, but here are a few recent ones I've read that you might enjoy.

The Future of Humanity by Michio Kaku. (Discusses what graphene really is, not what Aunt Beulah says it is on Facebook, as well as many other subjects.)
Alexander Hamilton by Rod Chernow. (only mentions the musical in passing and gives a good, realistic account of the founding period with perspective not found in the current partisan arguments)
About Trout by Robert Behnke (A compilation of his articles/columns over the decades in Trout magazine)

If you are a sci-fi guy, you might like the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov, if you haven't previously read them.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Due to your liking of Fantasy (Tolkien) I'd recommend Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight series. Start with The Way of Kings. It's a bit hard to wrap your brain around this particular books methodology of story telling (jumps around wildly from person to person, around in time), but wow does it ever pay off in the end.

Brandon Sanderson is one of the most prolific and amazing writers of our time. Very original and distinct magic types from series to series (mystborn to stormlight, WoT etc).

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
Have you read any of the Joe Picket books by CJ Box?

It follows the life of a Wyoming DWR officer. While totally fictional there are a lot of things that us hunters and fishermen can relate to.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I am reading American Buffalo by Steve Rinella and I am really enjoying it--might want to give it a try

Few of my all time fav's: Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, and The Old Man and The Boy by Robert Rourke

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've always wanted to read Count of Monte Cristo because I love a good redemption story, but I could never get going beyond 10-15 pages. I'll have to try again. I also like The Old Mand and the Boy.

I recently read a book about a kid growing up on a sheep ranch. It was honestly the most poetic writing of any author I've ever read. It is called Under This Western Sky, by Ivan Doig.

·
Super Moderator
3,523 Posts
Another vote here for CJ Box! The boy in me still loves the Storm Testament series by Lee Nelson.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One more I think you would like.

Besides top tier artwork, your mind will be blown by the incredible variety and differences in appearance of local populations of Salmo trutta through the world as well as discussion of other species.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here are some of my favorites:

The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon - Kevin Fedarko

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West - Stephen Ambrose

Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy Through the Grand Canyon- Edward Dolnick

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If you are up for something different I might recommend the Spellman Files. It's an easy read but absolutely hilarious take on a family of PIs. It's a great end of the day read when you don't want anything too heavy.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone for the suggestions. My options have been expanded greatly.

I've also lost a ton of respect for a few of you. Sorry. ;)

I'm going to throw out a suggestion to all of you, just because: Alaska by Michener (and, of course, Journey).
CPAJeff -- your recent trip would warrant a serious consideration of this book. And, if anyone ever wanted to know why Pacific salmon do what they do, then this book is a must. It is a book that I would recommend to anyone that has been to Alaska, or wants to go to Alaska. Don't let the 1,348 pages (plus another 201 pages for Journey) scare you. Read it. You'll like it.

Dallan -- I love Tolkien. But I struggle with other fantasy series -- I think it comes down to comparing them to Tokien. It's an unfair comparison, I know. But, I find many of these other fantasy series are geared more for non-Tolkien fans. I don't know....

....however, I grabbed The Passage (Justin Cronin) one time in a gift shop of the hotel I was staying in Las Vegas. It was the only book on their shelf, and I was desperate for something to read. Turns out that I read that entire trilogy about 5 times, and then went on to read nearly everything else that Cronin wrote. What a great discovery that turned out to be.

Vanilla -- tell me more about Twilight. If you're recommending it, it must have some substance.

FWIW -- I picked up The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. We'll see how that goes.

Reactions: DallanC and CPAjeff

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The Passage was fun to read given they initially jaunt through the region. I need to pick it up again as it's been ages now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A few of my favorites:
The Last Cowboys - John Branch
Peace Like a River - Leif Enger
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Atomic Habits - James Clear

1 - 20 of 27 Posts