·
Registered
4,043 Posts
A few of my favorites:
The Last Cowboys - John Branch
Peace Like a River - Leif Enger
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
Atomic Habits - James Clear
Love Peace Like a River too...Cormac McCarthy is also a favorite writer. I love the Border Trilogy and The Road more than No Country though...

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and completed by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death) is the ultimate fantasy series imo. Nothing I've ever read comes close to it. But Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is a great read too.

In the nonfiction realm, Theodore Roosevelt's books are solid. I really enjoyed African Game Trails, Hunting Trips of a Rancher & The Wilderness Hunter.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and completed by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death) is the ultimate fantasy series imo. Nothing I've ever read comes close to it.
I respectfully disagree, I would never recommend that series to someone. Oh its an interesting story, and Brandons completion of the series after Robert Jordan died was masterful. But good lord, I got into that series early and waited 12 years for it to wrap up. I waited nearly TWO YEARS at times for a book to come out, only to have it cover less than a weeks worth of story time. Entire books where really nothing at all happened to advance the story. There were so many interesting side stories that went absolutely nowhere after investing the readers time in.

If someone wants a **** good fantasy story, check out Raymond Feist's Magician series. Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master are AMAZING books. Pug and Thomas are two of my all time most favorite characters. Then, once the hunger for more manifests itself, you move onto Empire Trilogy, Serpent War saga, Riftwar Legacy etc etc, and all the small story books inbetween. He build such a rich, interesting world, he was able to craft stories that span hundreds of years and generations of characters within that world. The familiarity of the "long lived", give a wonderful feeling of continuity as new trilogies are started. I think he has around 30 books based in the Midkemia lands.

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I respectfully disagree, I would never recommend that series to someone. Oh its an interesting story, and Brandons completion of the series after Robert Jordan died was masterful. But good lord, I got into that series early and waited 12 years for it to wrap up. I waited nearly TWO YEARS at times for a book to come out, only to have it cover less than a weeks worth of story time. Entire books where really nothing at all happened to advance the story. There were so many interesting side stories that went absolutely nowhere after investing the readers time in.

If someone wants a **** good fantasy story, check out Raymond Feist's Magician series. Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master are AMAZING books. Pug and Thomas are two of my all time most favorite characters. Then, once the hunger for more manifests itself, you move onto Empire Trilogy, Serpent War saga, Riftwar Legacy etc etc, and all the small story books inbetween. He build such a rich, interesting world, he was able to craft stories that span hundreds of years and generations of characters within that world. The familiarity of the "long lived", give a wonderful feeling of continuity as new trilogies are started. I think he has around 30 books based in the Midkemia lands.

-DallanC
I found them back in 1998 and loved waiting for each book to come out after that. The amount of foreshadowing in the books and complete world building is fantastic to me. But that level of detail isn't for everybody. I've read and reread that series more than anything else and I catch new Easter eggs every time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wallace Stegner is one of my favorites. Big Rock Candy Mountain is loosely auto-biographical. Angle of Repose won a Pulitzer. Although he was a novelist, he also wrote some excellent history. Not Mormon, he did, however, spend his teens in SLC, and wrote some good non-fiction about the Mormon migration. Also wrote Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West.

Ivan Doig wrote some fantastic books. Most of them are set in the west. The English Creek Trilogy is good.

Wyoming2Utah, I suspect you would like both authors based on your book choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since this is a wildlife forum I'd have to recommend "A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold. I think it should be required reading for anyone who enjoys the outdoors.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts