Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Utah and would like to know what type of fishing would be best (be it most versatile, most successful) in a prepardness, survival circumstances... fly, bait and tackle, other and why? Since it does freeze here, I suppose Ice should be considered too.

What would you set yourself up with?

David

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
A large net. Sure, it's illegal. I don't think I'd care in a survival situation.

If setup properly, it would be the most effortless way of obtaining a food source.

As far as legal methods, bait and tackle. All fish will take bait if it's right in front of them. Plus there's plenty of bait around in the wild.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hard question I would say depending on the setting and skill level of the angler. Bait works everywere and can be deadly presented by an expert angler. On the river an expert fly angler can really clean up, and on big lakes hardware is the way to go. I fish all three depending on the circumstances but we all have our preference.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If I were stranded, If I was by a stream with fish in it I do a Bear Grylls and dam it up. Then you get a big stick and wack the fish. Fish gets knocked out easy, and it would give you something to do if you were lost. If I was by a lake, I would always take a small rod and reel and a lot of hooks. You can find bait anywhere in the forest, (worms,grasshoppers,beetles,maggots,etc).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Spinning rod, black maribou jig, split shot and some hooks and possibly a 3" gold and black floating rapala. Oh yea- a bottle of clorox.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Of course if you really wanted to pull a Bear Grylls you would also be staying in a motel off camera and grabbing a burger & fries at the local bar & grill.

For survival, I think there are better choices than carrying around fishing gear. A very small amount of space in a day pack can be occupied by a good water filter and enough energy bars to last a week. If I'm going very far in the woods I also usually bring a small revolver.

A small survival fishing kit would probably consist of some monofilament line, a few dozen bait hooks, a couple blue fox or panther martin spinners, and perhaps some wooly buggers of various colors.

Ice fishing in a survival situation also isn't as easy as Bear Grylls shows you on his program. I once saw him bore a 10" perfectly round hole in 6" lake ice using only his survival knife. I once tried this using a full size axe and it took me about 45 minutes and burned more calories than I would have gotten from 2 limits of fish. What you need to do here is get a pack the size of elkhunter22's, which includes a side pocket for a 10" power auger.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yeah thresh I like how that lake trout he caught also stayed on his homemade hook for hours.
And was very well alive when he came and got it. Also I did notice how perfect that hole was in the ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts