Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously the draws are still ahead but does anybody have any extra special adventures planned for this year? Anyone high enough in the pool to draw a great tag? Anyone going to Alaska or Africa?

As for me, I'm high enough in the point pools to have a chance at a few good tags but will have to see. Could get a UT MT Goat tag, UT deer tag, Wyo elk tag, NV deer, elk, antelope tag this year. Nothing else special planned for me. ----SS

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
144 Posts
Suid-Afrika

Suid-Afrika for three weeks in July

Critter your right,
Africa will be in your blood and wallet forever,
I have been on nine African Safaris anywhere in length from 10 days to 6 weeks at a time (depending on what country and or animals that you are after). Along with my wife and at-least one or more of my children, (all shooters) and my granddaughter lately
My 9 year old granddaughter will be the main shooter this trip. This will be her third Safari, But her first one as a shooter. We can't wait for July to get here.....
__

·
Super Moderator
9,800 Posts
I had my Africa fix this last year and can't wait for a few more years to think about going back. They say that once you go you have to go back and I can understand what they mean.

Here in the states I am just about out of points in all states except for Wyoming and Arizona. I'll head to Arizona in a couple of weeks for a javelina hunt north of Tucson and then I should draw a December coues deer hunt in unit 36c one of the premier units for them. Wyoming will quite possibly just be another point draw, but you never know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This will be my first year hunting big game here in Utah. Super stoked for that. My folks just moved to Tennessee this last year, so I may plan a deer hunting trip. Where they are, I can take up to 2 bucks and unlimited does. Crazy.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Family vaca in oregon. Chartered halibut, silvers, kings, And 2 kinds of crabs. Oh and 30 " walleye. Maybe a 12' sturgeon for the boy.:D

·
1,666 Posts
The only special hunt that I have planned is the Utah General Season Deer. I am going to try and get my buddy his first buck and using the loophole I will gain a point in the process.

I'll put in for a Whitetail, Elk, and Pronghorn Tag. If I don't draw those a general deer and elk tag will be my second choice as well as a left-over tag in eastern Wyoming for goats and I'll do my best with a chip in the GPS and maps to find a goat.

I'll throw apps at Premiere Arizona, Utah, and Nevada units to build points. If I don't draw those, I want to build a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.

I was contemplating for putting in for New Mexico and Idaho, but I think I want to build a rifle instead.

It should be a good year regardless.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Obviously the draws are still ahead but does anybody have any extra special adventures planned for this year? Anyone high enough in the pool to draw a great tag? Anyone going to Alaska or Africa?

As for me, I'm high enough in the point pools to have a chance at a few good tags but will have to see. Could get a UT MT Goat tag, UT deer tag, Wyo elk tag, NV deer, elk, antelope tag this year. Nothing else special planned for me. ----SS
Did you forget about the Arizona coues hunt?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^Forgot to mention it but didn't forget about it. In fact I was just looking at Coueswhitetail.com today.---------SS

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
Oh, I forgot. Like everyone else I'll be doing a couple Utah white-tailed ptarmigan hunts.

Reactions: tallbuck

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Wyoming Bighorn Sheep - 20 points - I'm in.

Can I come?

I'll be starting my final year of my current program in school, so it won't be a great year for any big hunts. Nevertheless, I'll still be applying for a few tags.

I drew a GS deer tag last year, so I probably won't get it this year. I've still got to figure out this loophole you all keep talking about.

This year I'll be starting my sheep applications here and in 2-4 other states depending on funds. I figure I have roughly a 0.08% chance of getting one of those tags (I'm not ready to try the Montana unlimited or the Idaho wilderness just yet).

My pronghorn points are gone, so I'm making a change. I'll be putting in for elk here in Utah. If I put in for the tag I'm planning on eventually drawing, I have about a 0.9% chance of a draw. But with those odds (and since I mainly want a point anyway) I may just go big or go home and throw in for the early San Juan hunt, in which case my probability goes to 0.05%.

So yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about 2016. It looks like I'll be hunting a lot of ducks.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention that I might put in for the San Juan expo tag, which will increase the probability of drawing one of them to 0.07%.

:grin:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'M hoping to help my dad on a muzzy LE elk hunt on the Manti this fall. Wouldn't be anything different than lots of our past hunts except that he last about 70% of his eyesight about 6 years ago. He is plenty capable though. Through the 3.5 month OK deer season, he saw a grand total of 5 deer from his stand...he killed three of them.

I'M also going to try and pull a couple doe antelope tags in WY and do a combo cast and blast trip with my kids. The perfect hunt for young kids and plenty exciting for me as well!

Other than that, probably just general deer and elk tags for me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For sure: General deer and elk in Wyoming
Probably: General Muzzleloader deer in Utah, Arizona Coues, Wyoming antelope
Possibly: Utah LE Muzz elk
Snow balls chance: Wyoming cow Buffalo and moose

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
144 Posts
Critter your right,
Africa will be in your blood and wallet forever,
I have been on nine African Safaris anywhere in length from 10 days to 6 weeks at a time (depending on what country and or animals that you are after). Along with my wife and at-least one or more of my children, and my granddaughter lately
My 9 year old granddaughter will be the main shooter this trip. This will be her third Safari, But her first one as a shooter. We can't wait for July to get here.....

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Heck, I'm just happy I'll be elk hunting again this year on the general.
Hopefully, I can get out and do a few overnighter scouting trips this year.
Never did a single one last year.:mad:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts