Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into hunting Nevada, but everything I can find says that to apply you have to buy license, ok I can pony up and pay for the license, since it is refundable if you do not draw. But the kicker is, if you get a refund you do not get a bonus point! So the two options are 10 dollars for a bonus point and no draw or 142 dollars and almost no chance to draw. That sucks, I guess I will just buy points for a few years to try and up my chances before actually applying. And I have been complaining that I can't draw a Utah tag all these years, but at least I get a bonus point with my unsuccessful letter each year.

What are everyone else's thoughts on Nevada's system?

BugBuilder

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Sounds to me like a good way to trim the applicant pool and increase draw odds.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Finnegan said:
Sounds to me like a good way to trim the applicant pool and increase draw odds.
So, REDUCING opportunity for the 'financially challenged' hunters, "sounds like a good way to increase draw odds"? :roll: I beg to differ. I thought we didn't want to "turn hunting into a rich man's sport", guess I was wrong. :?

I am all for making wishful draw applicants paying to help the animals they wish to hunt, and if that is the reasoning behind making one buy a hunting license I am all for it. But, if the reasoning is to "trim the applicant pool and increase draw odds" I am opposed to such policies. That is why I strongly oppose making hunters pay 'upfront' for the tag. It benefits the wildlife nothing, but punishes the hunters. Not good long-term planning in my book.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If someone could not afford the upfront fees in the first place then that said person has no business putting in for a tag.

this does not make it a rich man's sport at all. besides do not we all have a piece of plastic in the wallet called a credit card? this is the only way to pay now a days via on line apps.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sounds to me like Nevada's system works for well for them.

If you really want a big trophy bull quite throwing all that money away in different draws and save it put it CD's or the stock market, making you money, for a few years and then pull it out and buy that trophy bull dream hunt. You could save enough money to buy one of those type hunts before you would ever draw out in Utah or Nevada.

Or you could just hunt on an any bull, or go to Colorado and get an over the counter tag.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
sagebrush said:
If someone could not afford the upfront fees in the first place then that said person has no business putting in for a tag.

this does not make it a rich man's sport at all. besides do not we all have a piece of plastic in the wallet called a credit card? this is the only way to pay now a days via on line apps.
+1

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
sagebrush said:

So, screw the guy with three teenage sons then, right? :roll: If I had three kids and a wife that were interested in hunting elk, there is NO way I could if I was required to pay up front. If i am allowed to just build their points up with minimal costs upfront, my family members would still have dreams/chances of drawing at some point down the line.

Again, what purpose is served by paying upfront? How does it help wildlife, and how does it help ensure the future of hunting? What does it do besides limit the number of people who can apply/hunt? And how is limiting the number of people who can AFFORD to even apply, little lone hunt, benefit the future of the sport?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
i guess over the counter tags do not mean that you are hunting? hunting is hunting regardless if it is an open area, limited entry, or once in a life time right.
No one said that you can not go hunting.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What's going to happen when your three son's and you all draw the same year? I guess you hope your card isn't over the it's limit?? :)

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
sagebrush said:
i guess over the counter tags do not mean that you are hunting? hunting is hunting regardless if it is an open area, limited entry, or once in a life time right.
No one said that you can not go hunting.
True, but you ARE trying to limit those who can hunt the LE units, and for what purpose? _(O)_

What's going to happen when your three son's and you all draw the same year? I guess you hope your card isn't over the it's limit??
If you paid attention you would see how I would AVOID such a situation. :shock: If I couldn't afford to pay upfront for all three boys, I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be able to afford all of them to draw the same year. :roll: I NEVER made such a suggestion. Go back and reread what I wrote. :?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Pro would give money away to have dreams, hell just send it me. and your dreams will still be that dreams.

If it will make you feel better I can send you a letter saying "yes the dream is still there/here"

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
sagebrush said:
Pro would give money away to have dreams, hell just send it me. and your dreams will still be that dreams.
Nice avoiding answering my question. :roll: Let's try again, what PURPOSE is behind requiring upfront payment of a LE tag? Come on, you feel so strongly about it, surely you must have a good/valid reason(s).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
we are talking about hunting in general not le tags.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So it's a way to limit the number of applicant's. Sound's good to me but I don't like not getting a bonus point for not drawing after applying.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The PURPOSE of paying up front would be to limit the amount of people who put in with no fund's available for the hunt. That eliminates allot of people!

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
sagebrush said:
we are talking about hunting in general not le tags.
Only you are talking general not LE, the rest of us are talking about LE. Still failed to answer the question!

So it's a way to limit the number of applicant's. Sound's good to me but I don't like not getting a bonus point for not drawing after applying.
I am curious why reducing the number of people in the 'game' "sounds good". :?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Wdycle said:
The PURPOSE of paying up front would be to limit the amount of people who put in with no fund's available for the hunt. That eliminates allot of people!
How does that differ from what is in play now? If one doesn't have "the funds available" now, they can't apply now. So, what changes by making people pay upfront, except eliminate families from hunting? And, how is eliminating families from hunting goos for the future of hunting?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Who said you can't apply if you don't have the fund's now? :? Eliminating large group's of people would help the single applicant correct?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
pro in the original post it does not say weather it is general or LE, in Utah you are supposed to put in to the draw for any tag, regardless general season or LE.
So you are the only one talking about it being LE.

I'm going to go out on the limb and say it is there way of limiting the number of apps in the pool, and too also ensure that they have the money upfront to pay for the tags.

Probably for the reasons that could include over the limit cards, cards not being kept up to date to name a few.

This system would not hurt Utah to do it the same. for residents and non-residents

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Wdycle said:
Who said you can't apply if you don't have the fund's now? :? Eliminating large group's of people would help the single applicant correct?
Large groups? A max of four can apply together, is that your definition of large? You said:
The PURPOSE of paying up front would be to limit the amount of people who put in with no fund's available for the hunt.
Remember? :roll:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts