Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This software keeps recommending posts from over a decade ago... alot of new users don't bother to check dates, so we're seeing hopelessly outdated threads being bumped and made active again. Its rather annoying actually.

Perhaps the forum software can stop recommending posts from the mid 2000's? I doubt fishing results from 2006 mean much in 2021, or hunt results, regulations... etc etc.

Its also annoying to see some new member attempt to pad his new account with 20 replies to a random different threads... most of which from +10 year old threads.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What threads are you seeing?

The thread that annoys me is "When is going to happen" dealing with the draw results. Really??? A two year old thread and members still add comments. :mad: For he!! sakes, drop it and start a new "2021 When is it going to happen". So I'm feeling frisky and have the gloves on, so bring on the ridicule. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
What threads are you seeing?

The thread that annoys me is "When is going to happen" dealing with the draw results. Really??? A two year old thread and members still add comments. :mad: For he!! sakes, drop it and start a new "2021 When is it going to happen". So I'm feeling frisky and have the gloves on, so bring on the ridicule. :rolleyes:
C'mon now, quit all the hatin' on that thread! Are you still upset because of the reduction in g/s deer tags or that you forgot about the turkey hunt opening?!?! ;)

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
It has seemed to me that the spammers/bots were the main ones churning up old threads. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

As for the "recommended reading", yeah it is for the most part a bit annoying to see a bunch of 10 year old threads, but occasionally, looking at one or two are nostalgic, especially if it was one I participated in.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
The nice thing about the forums format is that if you see a post from years ago it is your choice to read it or not.

I did the other day go into a very old thread that a bot/spammer brought up and when I looked at the post that were in that account you could tell that they were here just to build up their post count to start to either spam all the members or something. I am not sure on this forum if the software restricts a member from posting in the classifieds or PMing other members but other forums that I am do this. You will see the bots posting one or two word post until they get to the allotted number of post before they start hammering others.

There are times that I actually enjoy looking at the older post but if I see one where the member is in a foreign country I'll take care or them. The first bunch of post that the one that I got rid of the other day were coming from India, then they switched to Florida, I summarized that they had finally found a server that they could log into and then post from that location.

They are getting sneaky.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
It is interesting to see all the old forum member names, I remember some of those guys clear back to 2001 when I joined this group.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
C'mon now, quit all the hatin' on that thread! Are you still upset because of the reduction in g/s deer tags or that you forgot about the turkey hunt opening?!?! ;)
1- I think I forgot the Turkey opener because it doesn't matter to me if hunt them or not. How many birds is to many in the house? I've never cared for opening day anyway, to many folks in the woods. If I go out, I'll give it a week and go in the middle of the week.
2- I actually agree with the reduction in deer tags. It was a tuff call I'm sure because of the popularity of the hunt.

I did a little thinking about deer numbers and it seems that the decline in the herd began about the time of $FW and other "special interest groups" entered the arena. Had noting to do with the snow in the 90's. (sarcastic comment)

Maybe I'll start a new thread about "something"?? :unsure: Let's see.... What would be a good topic to raise the hackles?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Maybe I'll start a new thread about "something"?? :unsure: Let's see.... What would be a good topic to raise the hackles?
Here's an idea; lets dissect (cut to ribbons) the obscene Utah RAC system of wildlife management.
😉 😉 😉 😉 😉

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Here's an idea; lets dissect (cut to ribbons) the obscene Utah RAC system of wildlife management.
😉 😉 😉 😉 😉
Pare it down to a catchy title and I think you will have a hit!

It is interesting to see all the old forum member names, I remember some of those guys clear back to 2001 when I joined this group.
Lots of good people during the years. I actually kind of miss them too.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
😉 😉 😉 😉 😉
Start it off dubob. I've made remarks that I for sure anticipated would get folks steamed up, but nothing. Maybe some are catching on to my antics?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Start it off dubob. I've made remarks that I for sure anticipated would get folks steamed up, but nothing. Maybe some are catching on to my antics?
Oh Heck no dude. YOU asked for ideas to start a new thread. I simply offered up my all-time favorite Utah pet peeve as a suggested topic. Take it and run with it - or not. I'm good either way.

·
Administrator
735 Posts
The developers are working on improving the Recommended Reading feature, including timliness.

- Cricket

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
That stuff just happens when they do a google search and the threads pop up. Then the poster, usually a new one decides to put his nickles worth into it.

On a side note, I am on a car forum where the owner and mods want all post dealing with one subject placed into a original thread. There are some threads that have a hundred pages and you might need to wade through most of them to find the solution to your question if no one replies. And most older members refuse to reply due to the answer already being in the thread.

·
Registered
9,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They are showing up in the "Recommended For You" feature... thats what I think is a "bug", that it shouldn't recommend posts that old.

In some forum software, old posts are automatically archived in the database and to bump them adds alot of additional database lookup time. Some sites I frequent have rules against bumping posts over 5 years old (amount can vary depending on their settings) due to the added overhead of the software dealing with archived posts).

If this isnt an issue thats fine, it seemed odd so I called it out.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
735 Posts
They are showing up in the "Recommended For You" feature... thats what I think is a "bug", that it shouldn't recommend posts that old.

In some forum software, old posts are automatically archived in the database and to bump them adds alot of additional database lookup time. Some sites I frequent have rules against bumping posts over 5 years old (amount can vary depending on their settings) due to the added overhead of the software dealing with archived posts).

If this isnt an issue thats fine, it seemed odd so I called it out.

-DallanC
The developers are working on improving the Recommended Reading feature, including timeliness.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I kind of enjoy looking at some of those old threads. Amazes me some of the names on them. People that I had kind of forgot about.
The new posts are usually quite comical. :cool:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
dubob, I don't follow the RAC topics, presentations much at all. I don't have a dog in the fight so it's best I leave that alone. I'd hate to start a topic I dint know that much about. I need some ammunition so I can fire back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts