Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on the Middle Provo today and saw numerous fish in this condition, several fish were dead in the water or on the banks. I haven't ever seen fish with this much fungus on them, or what ever it is, before.

Does anyone have any insight on what this is and what is causing this? Also, is this something we need to be concerned about?

Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Fall fungus. Happens every year on the provos and gets discussed every year. Nothing to worry about (yes, some fish will die but it is nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've also seen it on the Weber and the Ogden.

I think it has a lot to do with low water, and spawning. Lot's of stress on the fish this time of year.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
The fungus is also evidence of an unhealthy fish population...you don't see this fungus at such a significant number in healthy fish populations or rivers where the fish population is under better control.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is evident at Daniels also, I think it's on all the cutt-bows.... :roll: In all seriousness it seems to be everywhere but seems to dissapear with the lower water temps. I've seen it at the berry too.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
americanforkdude said:
I'm thinking he's referring to there needs to be more fish in the river?
Actually I think the MP is overpopulated. If it is underpopulated, I would hate to see what a overpopulated river would be like. :wink:

I have seen fungus before, just not this much. But if it happens every year, then I guess it isn't too much to worry about. It does sadden me to see any fish in this state though. Guess I need to start keeping some fish out of that river.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts