Utah Wildlife Forum banner

When do deer shed velvet?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  idiot with a bow 
#1 ·
When do the deer normally shed there velvet in southern Utah?

Reason I ask I was looking at the big game guidebook (proclamation :?: ) and the archery season is set up so I wouldn't have to pull my son out of school to hunt. I know I know, my dad used to pull me out of school to hunt deer but my son needs to get his grades up a little and his window of oppertunity is shrinking as the application dead line approaches.
I'm not a big fan of antlers in velvet and was wondering if they have rubbed the velvet off by mid to late august.

Allen

#4 ·
yak4fish said:
When do the deer normally shed there velvet in southern Utah?

Reason I ask I was looking at the big game guidebook (proclamation :?: ) and the archery season is set up so I wouldn't have to pull my son out of school to hunt. I know I know, my dad used to pull me out of school to hunt deer but my son needs to get his grades up a little and his window of oppertunity is shrinking as the application dead line approaches.
I'm not a big fan of antlers in velvet and was wondering if they have rubbed the velvet off by mid to late august.

Allen
Allen I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but archery is something that takes a lot of practice and time to get good at. For you to take one season and think that you will be succesful is a little bit foolish. Your son would need to practice a lot and if you want him to get his grades up that is something you might consider since it would take him a lot of time to get comfortable with a bow. You would have to do a lot of scouting as well, its not like the rifle where you can just show up and if a deer walks by you you can shoot it. :oops:

#5 ·
Allen has spent time in the area he plans on hunting, so scouting is a none issue. Allen, if your son practices all summer he should be fine. Nothing beats time HUNTING to learn how to hunt, as long as he has your guidance on what makes a 'good shot' he will be fine.

#6 ·
So most if not all the deer taken during the archery hunt are in velvet?

Have they rubbed there velvet off by the time of the muzzleloader hunt?

If I were to get a deer in velvet what do I do to preserve the antlers? I believe there is blood flowing though the antlers during the time of velvet.

Allen

#7 ·
bowhunte3 wrote

Allen I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but archery is something that takes a lot of practice and time to get good at. For you to take one season and think that you will be succesful is a little bit foolish. Your son would need to practice a lot and if you want him to get his grades up that is something you might consider since it would take him a lot of time to get comfortable with a bow. You would have to do a lot of scouting as well, its not like the rifle where you can just show up and if a deer walks by you you can shoot it.
So if I show up during archey season and a deer walks by in range I can't shoot it? :shock:

If we decide to get into this it will be soon. I have already been to a archey shop and they have classes available and we will sign up for one if archery is the way we go. We have plenty of time ( 8 months)to practice and a range within five minutes of my home that has alot of seasoned archers to pick there brains. I have been hunting the area we would go since 1993 I know exactly were I will take my son and the approach I would make depending on the wind. I realize the limitations in range and that it will be much more difficult to get a shot, but if this is the way I can hunt deer with my son this year I will do it.

Allen

#8 ·
yak4fish said:
bowhunte3 wrote

Allen I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but archery is something that takes a lot of practice and time to get good at. For you to take one season and think that you will be succesful is a little bit foolish. Your son would need to practice a lot and if you want him to get his grades up that is something you might consider since it would take him a lot of time to get comfortable with a bow. You would have to do a lot of scouting as well, its not like the rifle where you can just show up and if a deer walks by you you can shoot it.
[quote:19r5w3ci]
So if I show up during archey season and a deer walks by in range I can't shoot it? :shock:

If we decide to get into this it will be soon. I have already been to a archey shop and they have classes available and we will sign up for one if archery is the way we go. We have plenty of time ( 8 months)to practice and a range within five minutes of my home that has alot of seasoned archers to pick there brains. I have been hunting the area we would go since 1993 I know exactly were I will take my son and the approach I would make depending on the wind. I realize the limitations in range and that it will be much more difficult to get a shot, but if this is the way I can hunt deer with my son this year I will do it.

Allen[/quote:19r5w3ci]

Like I said it wasn't meant to offend you or your hunting abilities. What I meant was that if you were worried about your son missing school on the rifle because of his grades. My point is if you want him to take time to study and do his school work you need to know how much time archery would take to practice, not bagging on your hunting skills by no means. Have a good time, hopefully you will see that it is the best hunt. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.