Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we know the results from the draw. When is everyone going to start to scout? I have the Manti La Sal Any Weapon Deer Tag and will probably start scouting around the 4th of July at the latest.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Animals will move A LOT between now and September, we typically go up in August and then the weekend before the opening date.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I like to spend as much time as possible in the area between the draw and the hunt. But mostly just because I'd rather be there than in my office anyways.

I start scouting areas for the archery hunt mid-end of June, but don't really try to hone in on specific animals' behavior until a few weeks before the archery hunt starts because there is a lot that can change with time. For the rifle hunts that statement of change can be multiplied by weather and pressure from earlier hunts.

I still think that the more often you can get in the hills, the better. I learn something, often something small, about the area or the animals nearly every trip out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
usually we start looking pretty hard around the 1st of july when the antlers have grown enough to classify most of the bucks and bulls. but were always out looking and from what I have noticed so far its a going to be very interesting come hunting season

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I started scouting 26 years ago and haven't stopped! But seriously, I only do specific scouting trips for new areas and then I do a couple in the summer to get familiar with the country and I'll try to get out 1-2 times within a month of the opener to find where the animals are hanging out.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Im headed out this weekend! Mainly just to get a feel for an area I have wanted to check out the last year or two. I also just need to get out to get rid of some of my hunting fever! Last year I went out starting in june almost every weekend just for scouting. This year I will wait till July to start seriously scouting. I didn't feel like my June trips did much last year and I would like to do a little more fishing/hiking/camping Instead of just scouting.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
All year long.........Every year.

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It will be interesting to see if this rain cycle sticks around and the impact it will have on animal growth and taste come early fall. I was talking with Kevin Eubank the other day and he was saying that all of the projections/indicators strongly support this rain cycle at least through July. Keep in mind that if this rain cycle keeps going or slows/stops that the animals will move accordingly to stay close to water.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Couldn't agree more hazmat!

Winter is were it's at if you want to know exactly what is on any given unit!

Wnter grounds tell the 'herd' story the best.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I start around this time of year. Mostly to go on all those atv trails or hiking trails that I may have seen last year and never learned. I set out cameras in new areas and leave them all summer. I try to learn a new part of my unit every year. The mountains are big. Can always learn new area.

·
1,666 Posts
It depends on how well you know the area.

If you don't know the area, a scouting trip or two or seven can be done to just drive down the roads and get to know different aspects of the area.

If I know the area, just a few days before.

During the general season rifle deer hunt, deer will be pushed every which way - so knowing the dark holes or places the deer will go before hand is a must.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Coludn't scouting be used as an excuse to go fishing? ;-)
It depends....If I was boy scouting as in merit badges and all that nonsense, it could but the scouts would probably drive me nuts. If I tried to use the idea of scouting for big game as an excuse to go fishing, my wife would call BS and I wouldn't be going.

About the only reason she still lets me go fishing or hunting is for the off-chance that I might bring home something to eat....and she knows me well enough that the chances of that happening are more and more rare!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If I tried to use the idea of scouting for big game as an excuse to go fishing, my wife would call BS and I wouldn't be going.

About the only reason she still lets me go fishing or hunting is for the off-chance that I might bring home something to eat....and she knows me well enough that the chances of that happening are more and more rare!
Hmmm. Since I have some idea about your angling skill, it sounds to me like you need to back off on the C&R a bit and bring home a few trout for the grill. Bring her a few tasty Boulder brookies and more frequent kitchen passes may come your way.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Over the years I just look for stable waterholes, bedding and feeding areas, and since those don't change much, I just do some prep on several of them a month or so ahead of the season and let it go at that.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
This year we will probable start first weekend of June. we are going to be looking at different areas to scout and see what in that area and then when it get closer we will hit the spots we see the most deer in. But we will also be keeping a close eye on our old areas as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts